GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

horn does not work

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jbol

horn  does not work Empty
PostSubject: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 am

93 RMW - horn stopped working.I can connect it directly to battery and it works - Fuse is good and no voltage in the switches etc. so I assume?? it is the relay. My Haynes manual is missing and I can't figure out where the relay is - the various images on the web don't look like my under the hood.
Is my assumption probably correct? and where is the relay? I see what appear to fuses and relays by the accumulator.
thanks for any advice.
jim
Back to top Go down
GENDAVIS

GENDAVIS

PostSubject: Re: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 6:56 pm

For my parents Caprice and my own when the horn stops working it has ALWAYS been the actual buttons in the steering wheel. It is a lot of plastic that gets brittle and eventually breaks. It can sometimes be fixed, but mine had to get an external button placed elsewhere.

Just an idea of what I have seen.

-David
Back to top Go down
jbol

PostSubject: Re: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I have actually removed the plastic button and contacted the wire straight to ground and no beep. Also there is no voltage on the wire so the problem is some where else - and the fuse is good.
jim
Back to top Go down
GENDAVIS

GENDAVIS

PostSubject: Re: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 2:21 pm

My Haynes manual online isn't showing the picture like it should but it looks like there is 1 relay for the horn, probably in the engine compartment somewhere. If it's not that, I would think all is left is the wiring, either the control or power circuit to the relay, or the wiring from the relay to the horn itself assuming your ground is good. Sorry I cant help more.

-David
Back to top Go down
jbol

PostSubject: Re: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks again. I found out the relay is on the 'convenience center' which I thought was under the hood somewhere - but I discovered it is not very conveniently behind the parking break pedal. A little poking around suggests to me the wire from it to the horn ring is bad somewhere so I have some rigging to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horn does not work   horn  does not work Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horn does not work
Page 1 of 1