GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn , Again...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zonaman

zonaman

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 pm

It seems I've got the same issue that so many others have: Worn out horn pads that cause the horn to stick.  I'm the newbie here so I haven't seen an answer to what seems to be an obvious solution:  A professionally refurbished airbag module.  There must a reason that, aside from the expense, puts the kibosh on this solution; so someone kindly explain to me what I'm ignorant of.  Then of course,  what does one do with an old, presumably functioning airbag?  There is a light at the end of this tunnel for me however.  I've looked at what other folks have done and I've come up with what I feel is an elegant solution.  It's surprisingly simple and involves so slight a modification to the existing wheel that it will hardly be distinguishable from stock.  It can also be removed in such a way as to make almost impossible to see it was ever done.  I'll post pictures if and when I do it.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 am

""There must a reason that, aside from the expense,""

You have the answer. Many have come up with alternatives to avoid this expense, Having had my own Wagon since new, I have replaced this module twice.

Reverend Bob

zonaman likes this post

Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 am

Thanks. Guess the old axiom applies:"Follow the money..."
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 pm

What do you do with the old unit?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

""What do you do with the old unit?""

I take it to the local Buick dealership. I think they set them up in the parking lot and light them off to launch watermelons.

They say they dispose of them using GM protocols, but I am not buying it.
Back to top Go down
booster

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 3:48 pm

I don't think I have ever seen a reconditioned bag/cover assembly, just the electronic module.

Used one and some aftermarket ones of questionable quality, yes.

Where does one find those sources? I may be interesting in having our nearly 30 year old ones refreshed as I don't really want to remove them as they are a good safety feature IMO.
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 pm

booster wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a reconditioned  bag/cover assembly, just the electronic module.

Where does one find those sources?  I may be interesting in having our nearly 30 year old ones refreshed as I don't really want to remove them as they are a good safety feature IMO.

I don't know these guys, so I was asking.  If anyone has any experience with them or has seen a review I'd sure like to know.
Back to top Go down
booster

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 pm

zonaman wrote:
booster wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a reconditioned  bag/cover assembly, just the electronic module.

Where does one find those sources?  I may be interesting in having our nearly 30 year old ones refreshed as I don't really want to remove them as they are a good safety feature IMO.

I don't know these guys, so I was asking.  If anyone has any experience with them or has seen a review I'd sure like to know.

I just looked at the link and all I found for our 96 RMW are used steering wheel bags.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 pm

Used is all that is available. New ones have not been offered for many moons. The last used one I purchased was indeed checked out for operating horn buttons and has been OK for about a decade.

airbagcenter.com
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

Rev Bob wrote:
Used is all that is available. New ones have not been offered for many moons. The last used one I purchased was indeed checked out for operating horn buttons and has been OK for about a decade.

airbagcenter.com

Roger that.  I confirmed with the seller I referenced.  They sell used airbags and have made sure the horn pads work.  There is no refurbishing. Can't do it.   On the other hand- you're switching out a 30-year old OEM unit for another one- so no difference there, except now your horn works like it was designed. I hope none of us ever has the opportunity to "test" our airbags since, aside from the dash light, there's only one to know...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horn , Again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn , Again...   Horn , Again... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn , Again...
Page 1 of 1