GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stock radio ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Wife's Caprice wagon has a tape deck that actually still works, not that it will really get used much. We need to keep the stock look and I have been looking at stock radios with an aux addon. We did that in her old Suburban and it worked great! But I have not been able to find a radio that looks like the one that is in the car now and I'm not sure what radio options there were when new. Must keep a stock looking radio not aftermarket replacement.

This is what is in there:
stock radio ? 2fGVP5F

Most of the ones I have seen look like this, but I think these mainly came in the trucks:
stock radio ? RpXqY76
Not a big deal if it fits as most probably wouldn't know it's not 'stock'

What other radios fit in the Caprice dash?

I might pull it and send it out to have the aux jack added, but would be a little easier to just swap one, maybe even upgrade to a CD player instead of the cassette or one with an EQ...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 9:57 pm

GM used those radios, pictured in the 2nd picture, from @1995 well into the 2000's. Pontiac's, Chevrolet's, Buick's' and GM trucks. That same unit also has the CD player.

Tom

Andebe and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
flapman

flapman

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 10:45 am

I am using an FM Bluetooth transmitter similar to this one on eBay. They are inexpensive and mine works great on my 96RMEW with the concert sound option speakers. Easily moved from car to car and interfaces to your phones Bluetooth. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233164900741
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 12:08 pm

I found a place some time back (it's in another thread) that restores original radios. If your tape deck is working I did buy a bluetooth adapter that plugs in the cassette slot and plays from bluetooth on my phone. I think the Bluetooth adapter was around $30

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
sandalboy692

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm

I was a diehard stock radio guy till recently. I got sick of trying to upgrade my stock radios. Did the fm modulators, did the in-line antenna modulator. Bought the parts to add an auxiliary port soldered into the tape or cd selector but In the end went aftermarket. I put a Kenwood (they have a few models that don’t feel junky) radio in my wife’s car and liked it so much that I put one in my wagon too. Once I experienced digital time alignment of the speakers, better amps, and apple CarPlay I don’t want to go back to stock. If you must stay stock...I don’t recall finding any that fit, look stock, have the same connectors and have an aux input. Your best bet is to take a radio you like and have someone good with electronics solder in an aux port into the CD or tape circuit. It’s not that hard to do.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Isurf wrote:
I found a place some time back (it's in another thread) that restores original radios. If your tape deck is working I did buy a bluetooth adapter that plugs in the cassette slot and plays from bluetooth on my phone. I think the Bluetooth adapter was around $30

I recall that thread, not a bad way to go, just something else to keep track of and keep charged...

sandalboy692 wrote:
I was a diehard stock radio guy till recently. I got sick of trying to upgrade my stock radios. Did the fm modulators, did the in-line antenna modulator. Bought the parts to add an auxiliary port soldered into the tape or cd selector but In the end went aftermarket. I put a Kenwood (they have a few models that don’t feel junky) radio in my wife’s car and liked it so much that I put one in my wagon too. Once I experienced digital time alignment of the speakers, better amps, and apple CarPlay I don’t want to go back to stock. If you must stay stock...I don’t recall finding any that fit, look stock, have the same connectors and have an aux input. Your best bet is to take a radio you like and have someone good with electronics solder in an aux port into the CD or tape circuit. It’s not that hard to do.

She is showing the car in AACA car shows and it must be stock/original.

The units I am looking at with the addon aux jack don't use the cd or tape deck, they tie directly into the amp and interrupt the antenna signal. Connect the 3.5mm plug and the radio sound cuts off, no switches or blank tapes/cds to mess with... Had one in her old Suburban and it worked great.

Her 454SS has a full aftermarket custom sound system in it. So I completely agree that aftermarket stuff sounds and works better and does all sorts of extra things. I actually just installed a new head unit to replace the old Alpine tape deck! New Alpine with cd/usb/aux/bluetooth/ect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stock radio ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock radio ?   stock radio ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stock radio ?
Page 1 of 1