GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zanethan

AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Empty
PostSubject: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:00 am

Hi All,

I picked up a stock radio from a Roadie sedan for my wagon. Unfortunately the tape deck doesn’t work (seems to be in an auto reverse loop).  I was hoping to just use a cassette adapter for my music but that doesn’t appear to be an option. I haven’t dug into it yet but I’ve seen where it’s possible to add aux jacks to old stock radios. Im out of my comfort zone here so I was wondering if anyone here has done this or if anyone knows what the unused plugs at the back of the radio are for. If one is for a CD changer it may be pretty easy to use that plug. Any other ideas for getting an AUX input? I know, I know just use an aftermarket one but if I can get the stock look I’d like that better. The radio is a Delco 16141491AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio E197f310

jwasner2k likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 3:05 pm

They are available on eBay with AUX and/or bluetooth added.

I got one several years ago for the wife's Suburban and it worked great. Had the 1/8" aux plug and it worked and sounded good.

The tape player works in her wagon, so she has been using a bluetooth tape to use the iPod, works decently enough.
Back to top Go down
Zanethan

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 5:08 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
They are available on eBay with AUX and/or bluetooth added.

I got one several years ago for the wife's Suburban and it worked great. Had the 1/8" aux plug and it worked and sounded good.

The tape player works in her wagon, so she has been using a bluetooth tape to use the iPod, works decently enough.

I’ve looked at those but I’m not ponying up the $300+ ask lol.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 9:04 pm

when I got the one for the Suburban it was about 125. Haven't looked in a while, sadly not surprised the price has jumped way up...
Back to top Go down
jwasner2k

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 10:12 am

replacementradios.com
Back to top Go down
KDCubes

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 12:31 pm

On our 2002 Avalanche I bought the plug-in adapter that goes to the CD changer port. Worked perfectly.

Upon trying the same thing with a 1999 Aurora the head unit would not recognize the adapter. I found a guy who had connected inside the deck. It had a CD player (I cannot tell if yours does) which is modular inside the head unit. By modular I mean there's a separate Sanyo CD deck inside the radio. The Left Right and Ground are easily identified by the cable connectors.

You would cut the wires and extend the wires from the CD player to the jack. The jack is also a switch which shunts the CD player L, R and G right back to the amplifier to play CD, or the plug inputs if the Aux is plugged in. Use shielded cable or you'll get crosstalk. Works fine but you have to run a CD constantly so the controls will know to sense the CD input.

If you or a friend feel up to it I'll track down the details. This is for CD, might work for the tape deck if there's no CD.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 8:50 pm

i recently pulled the same top end model out of a roadie to put in my wagon as the aftermarket stereo the po put in mine is a malfunctioning pos - a cd/radio/tape deck combo where the tape deck and radio works, but the cd player doesn't - and every time i start the car it cycles repeatedly trying in vain to load/eject a nonexistent CD.

I hope the factory deck i pulled is fully working as it would be nice to have a working stock radio to help continue the car's restoration. This model is out of a 92 or 93 and compared to the standard unitsthat were in my 95 and 96 roadies, this one seems a bit higher quality in the knobs. Gotta love that old school EQ too.

At least it didn't cost much and does the trick until i can splurge on a nice apple play head unit that fits
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio   AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AUX Input on Stock 1992 Roadmaster Radio
Page 1 of 1