GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Body moulding clips

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

Body moulding clips Empty
PostSubject: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm

1991 OCC going to get a respray. I want to remove lower body side mouldings from doors, fenders and tail gate. Based on the age of the car and my lack of experience, I expect to break some of the plastic clips that retain the body mouldings (along with a few screws). Does anyone have a part number or contact for replacement clips? I imagine they are the same for the Caprice and Roadmaster wagons from GM. THX
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 10:04 am

I found the information. The GM part number is 10119853. It is a discontinued part. I ordered replacements from the following site: https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/searchresults.asp?Search=10119853&Submit=
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 am

The 91 OCC has a bastardized trim attachment system. The doors and front fenders have pins stuck in the corners of the square holes in the top metal strips, and they go into corresponding grommets in the panels. The quarter panel trim is held on by the same type of pins, but the ones in the quarters can only be replaced by "unwelding" the plastic from the metal. Do not lose any of the grommets in the body, because there are no more of them. If you must get a replacement for one, the red plastic screw anchors are supposed to work, but I have not tried them. The tailgate is similar to the quarter panels. There are metal strips along the bottom of the doors, and removing them with the trim is advisable. There is also a strip of adhesive along the front of the front door trim to hold the trim against the door, and keep it from catching the front fender.

There are also screws at each end of the trim on the doors (upper and lower), and tailgate. There are screws on the front and bottom of the front fender trim. The quarter trim has screws along the bottom of the trim from the front of the wheel opening to the back.

While you are at it, you should pull the flyaway panels off, and have them reattached. Make sure they are absolutely clean, and scuff the backside with 36 grit sandpaper. Window adhesive should work, or JB Weld. The pins will pull out when you remove them, and it does not matter if you put them back in.

The reason for the bastardized trim attachment is due to GM never making the originally designed trim clips. 92 trim does not have the same attachment method, so, you if you have 92 trim, you must redrill the attachment holes in the doors, and front fenders.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Fred, you know your stuff. I've only removed the body moulding from the front fenders but the clips referenced my post above don't appear to have any application.

At least the front fender trim slides out of the clips after the exterior screws are removed. I've managed to retain the plastic welds that hold the metal bracket to the body moulding and have all the grommets in place. Someone before me got to the right side and filled one grommet hole and drilled through the exterior to insert a push clip. I need to find or modify a door panel clip that will fit into the metal bracket. Thanks for all your good advice.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Show me a picture.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 4:19 pm

At least for the 1991 OCC, the clips referenced in my previous thread (above) are not right. I'm ending up using Dorman 963-041D. You will need to cut off the innermost ring using a razor knife. Remove the grommets from the body. Insert into moulding, align and push into place.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 6:01 pm

I looked at the pics of the ones you showed me, and they actually look like the ones that GM never produced. The pics are in my FSM. If they are correct, they would need T pins on the body panels. The FSM has push pins to hold the clips.

The ones you used probably fit directly in the holes in the body panels. The ones I used fit in a grommet that fits in the hole. They were pushed into the corners of the rectangular holes in the cladding. The cladding mounts for the 91 are really bastardized. The pins I used are the ones holding the bottom trim to the doors of the
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 6:01 pm

I looked at the pics of the ones you showed me, and they actually look like the ones that GM never produced. The pics are in my FSM. If they are correct, they would need T pins on the body panels. The FSM has push pins to hold the clips.

The ones you used probably fit directly in the holes in the body panels. The ones I used fit in a grommet that fits in the hole. They were pushed into the corners of the rectangular holes in the cladding. The cladding mounts for the 91 are really bastardized. The pins I used are the ones holding the bottom trim to the doors of the Caprice and Roadmaster.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 am

The acorn nuts holding the body moulding to the doors are GM 20561698, 5mm acorn speed nuts.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Bastardized attachemnt system is an understatement! The right side body mouldings were held in by pins into grommets with the pins sliding into a slot in the top of the moulding. The left side were similar but the pins were plastic welded into a solid metal strip. The tailgate used the 10119853 style clips. A lot of double sided tape all around. I hope this info will help someone with a 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Your left side is actually from a 92. The plastic welds can be heated, and straightened by slowly pulling up on the stainless strip. Then the pins can be replaced. It is a tedious and long job. If you choose to do it, the pins will not line up with the holes in a 91 door, and the bushings are no longer available. You can use small red wall anchors to replace the bushings. The left side should be a mirror of the right side. If you use the 92 trim on the 91, you must drill new holes for the pins (when replaced), and use the wall anchors in the holes before inserting the pins on the trim. I have used the pins from the bottom trim on a Caprice, or Roadmaster, and cut the round part to somewhat of a rectangle so that it fits in the space provided (try to approximate the shape of the pin base when removed).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Body moulding clips   Body moulding clips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Body moulding clips
Page 1 of 1