GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Empty
PostSubject: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Took one of the pieces off of Grimace today, because it was rubbing against the door. Where can you buy the proper clips to re-attach it? If it makes a difference, Grimace is a '91.

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm

It does make a difference. In GM's infinite wisdom, the 91 and 92 cladding use different clips.

And sadly, at the moment, I can't remember which is which......
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 9:14 pm

It figures. lol I noticed that there were two screws that held it on, and then some clips on the side, and also on the bottom.

We'll probably pull all of the cladding off when we paint.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:31 am

I found some fasteners that can be used on the bottom. I had to cut a small portion off of the end because they were too long, but they are the only thing I found that worked. I like to remove the metal bracket along the bottom in stead of the push fasteners. I have to look up the parts, and will post the number.

The top is a jury rigged affair for the 91s. They use the same fasteners as the lowest trim on a Caprice or RM for the ends, but you have to jam them in the metal slot, and then push it into the nylon bushing in the hole. The ones along the top edge, under the metal trim, (you can remove the metal trim with some heat, but be careful) are made from unobtanium, and can only be replaced with a make do part using and modifying the same pin as the aforementioned Caprice or RM fasteners. the small bushings are also made of unobtanium as far as I know, and can only be found on RMs and Caprices, but are impossible to remove in one piece. If someone has a source for them, I would like to find some.

This is the place with the most varied collection of fasteners I have seen (they do not have the OCC trim pins or the nylon bushings, and I have looked at every item on their list)

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp

The front edge of the cladding for the door is supposed to be held on with two sided foam, but I have never been able to get it to stick for more than a week. If anyone has a technique that will make it stick let me know. I have cleaned the paint until I thought it was going to rub off, and they still only stuck for a week. I use the best tape I could find, to no avail.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Ray, can said clips be removed from the trim? If so, those 2 OCCs are still in the junkyard here and still have over half their trim left
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:36 pm

No idea.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:04 pm

cadillac kevin wrote:
Ray, can said clips be removed from the trim? If so, those 2 OCCs are still in the junkyard here and still have over half their trim left

The pins can be removed, but you ruin the trim, unless you heat the tabs and gently straighten them. The metal strip along the top holds them in place. The little nylon grommets are just as important as the pins, if you can get them out.

Do either of the OCCs have the electronic climate control? I need a good OFF button.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Ray, you would be better off sourcing a new passenger front door piece for a 91. That one is bent up. The girl I bought it from hit a phone pole backing up. It was in the back when I bought the car. I tried my best to straighten it out. I used the 'Christmas tree' type fastenters from the auto body shop all along the bottom (they are holding), and in the two spots on the top (lasted about two weeks).

That trim is all bent up. I was never able to find another one for a 91 to replace it. Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:18 pm

oh and the door may be bent ever so slightly there when she hit it. I wasn't sure if it was the cladding or the door that was bent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Yeah, the top clips gave out so we took the cladding piece off. The bottom clips worked damn well, that much I can tell you. lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:21 pm

that's why I didn't worry about it flying off, lol. Every once in awhile it would bind the door, and I'd just run around and push it in and let whomever out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?   OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OCC Cladding: Where do you buy the clips?
Page 1 of 1