GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine skip?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 10:21 pm

My wife’s 1995 pristine RMS stock with 110,000 miles has a slight what appears to be a skip with the engine that is intermittent but frequent. Going down the interstate on cruise control there is a barely noticeable momentary loss of power that lasts less than half a second but happens every 20 seconds or so. Other than that it runs great. It also happens when not using cruise. Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2020 1:49 pm

could be several things... possibly the torque converter locking/unlocking. maybe bad sparkplug(s) or wires or cap and rotor.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Check the water pump coolant temperature sensor harness connector for corrosion.  That input is (sadly) not filtered for transients, and an occasional corrosion-related open circuit will tell the PCM that the coolant is at -40F, radically changing fuel and spark, and unlocking the torque converter. If you have an [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], you can use eehack to datalog and watch the inputs for any goofy transients. That's how I found this issue.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 7:45 am

You guys are wizards! Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 pm

I had the sensor completely suddenly fail once. Car cut out and refused to start, ECM thought it was -40 outside and was flooding the engine. Replaced and  started right up. Might be worth keeping a spare. An ohmmeter test will show its bad.
AND I think you can UNPLUG the sensor and ECM will default to more normal temps and car will run ok again.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Bingo   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 10:54 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Check the water pump coolant temperature sensor harness connector for corrosion.  That input is (sadly) not filtered for transients, and an occasional corrosion-related open circuit will tell the PCM that the coolant is at -40F, radically changing fuel and spark, and unlocking the torque converter.  If you have an [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], you can use eehack to datalog and watch the inputs for any goofy transients. That's how I found this issue.

I checked the sensor. It was corroded. I unplugged and plugged it several times and sprayed some Amsoil MP on it and the problem resolved. I got a new one from Rockauto and will install it.

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 11:38 am

Many come with a new plug & pigtails too. If you don't replace the plug, be sure to clean the mating plug/terminals very well else the remaining coolant in the plug will give you the same problem again.

sherlock9c1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2020 6:24 pm

I bought the wrong one. Does anyone have a link to the right part on rockauto?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine skip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine skip?   Engine skip? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine skip?
Page 1 of 1