GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Refurbishing / replacing roof slats

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave.hays

Dave.hays

Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Empty
PostSubject: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Has anyone successfully repaired or replaced the black roof slats on their wagon?  Mine are cracking and I'm a nervous about removing them without a solid plan in place for either 1) repairing them and reinstalling them, or 2) finding a set in better shape.  

Specifically talking about Figure 4 in this diagram:

Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Roadma10
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2020 8:05 pm

I would sell you mine but I see that you have a Buick.
Back to top Go down
Dave.hays

Dave.hays

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 am

Wow - the slats are different on a Buick than on the Caprice? That's too bad. Any idea what material they're made out of? Seems like either some kind of hard rubber or plastic / PVC.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2020 11:40 am

They are a metal base with plastic molded on top of it. They are held on by well nuts. I have never tried to refurbish them. Some Bondo or JB Weld would be the way to fill the gaps, then paint. I think the JB Weld would be the preferred product.
Back to top Go down
Dave.hays

Dave.hays

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Thank you - that is very helpful.

Another idea I have (borrowed from a very old post on the SS forum) is to fabricate and replace them with new ones out of wood (I'm thinking ipe or teak).

If I do anything, I will try to remember to document it and post pictures, since I haven't seen it demonstrated anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing / replacing roof slats   Refurbishing / replacing roof slats Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refurbishing / replacing roof slats
Page 1 of 1