GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing the engine

Go down 
+4
toomanytoyz
BigBlackBeaSSt
Cadet57
Fred Kiehl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing the engine Empty
PostSubject: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 pm

I am replacing the engine in the Starship. What would be a good color to paint it?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm

What are Olds engine colors? Gold or blue?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 pm

What about the car color?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Its a star ship. It needs an all white motor!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Am I the only one who thought "replacing the engine and the COLOR is the big question?" Razz

How about what cam, heads, oil pump, etc??? Wink

I say gold, btw. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 pm

or displacement, turbo or blower....decisions decisions.....

I suggest an Olds 455 with a Saginaw 4-spd behind it. Gold of course.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

It is getting a cam, headers, dual exhausts with Flowmasters, larger TBI,adjustable FP regulator, police injectors, and reprogrammed computer. I am doing a few small things like the rear main seal, front seal, and gaskets. I am putting the trans from the donor in as well. The drive train has 103K on it, and my original drive train has 265K on it,

I opened the engine today, and it is really sanitary inside. I need to either patch the hole in the oil pan, thanks to LKQ, or get another oil pan, and a dipstick tube/dipstick that got damaged in transport. So, color is about the only issue.

Do I have to use the manifold washers with the headers, or can I just use bolts, or studs?

I am contemplating purchasing a cheap wire welder from Harbor Freight to fix the oil pan, and make the hump for the exhaust on the dirver's side. I have torch welded, but I have notarc welded, so it should take me about 15 minutes to figure it out. The local shops want an arm and a leg to weld stuff, and I only have a finger or two. If I do it myself, it costs me about the same, and I get to keep the welder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Its a star ship. It needs an all white motor!

no wait! its white haha. I thought the red one. never saw a white motor tho. what the heck, go for it
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 pm

There was a guy on issf that did a white frame on show car...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 pm

I think white is problematic. I do not keep the engine bay clean enough. What will hide dirt?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Silver!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:29 am

Sprocket wrote:
or displacement, turbo or blower....decisions decisions.....

I suggest an Olds 455 with a Saginaw 4-spd behind it. Gold of course.

big olds would shred the saginaw,.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 am

would a 350 400 style dipstick tube fit a 700? I have a billet style one chrome new 27" LENGTH. free if it fits.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 am

CarloNYC wrote:
would a 350 400 style dipstick tube fit a 700? I have a billet style one chrome new 27" LENGTH. free if it fits.

Is this an engine dipstick? Fits a 700? If it fits the LO3, it will fit the LO5. If it is a transmission dipstick tube, I have a good one. I do not know what the length of the dipstick tube is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 am

transmission. th350 th400
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 9:47 am

What color are Dylithium Crystals? Mr Spock would know?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Trans is 700R4, same as stock. I am leaning toward blue or orange. The orange may not look good with the red body. I also contemplating the manifold in white and the rest in blue.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I am leaning toward blue or orange.

Glad you said OR instead of AND. Boolean expressions are important wheras Gator Fans are not, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the engine   Replacing the engine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing the engine
Page 1 of 1