GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seat belt tensioning?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

Seat belt tensioning? Empty
PostSubject: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Driver's seat belt on 91 OCC does not retract very well. Is there any [easy and safe] way to adjust spring tension?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 pm

No. You grab another belt with a good retractor, colour doesn't matter, and swap your good belt onto the good retractor. Buy the same side.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 am

""Driver's seat belt on 91 OCC does not retract very well."

Sometimes this is caused by the belt fraying, so that it does not slip on itself when rolling up. If a part of the belt is "fuzzy" or soft appearing, it might not work any better in a different retractor.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 9:34 am

I have a leak that gets my seat belt wet, and it has become stiff. It does not retract well. If your belt is stiff, first fix the leak (it is probably the seal part that clips over the body seam below the top of the B pillar front and or rear). The wash the belt, and put fabric softener on it.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Found a 91 Caprice in my local LKQ. Unfortunately, the belt and tensioner were in worse shape than mine. I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement. Thanks to all for responses.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 4:52 pm

What color is your interior?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 6:38 pm

Remember, the colour of the replacement belt doesn't matter... all you need is a belt with a good tensioner.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 8:26 pm

If he can get a matching belt and tensioner, all the better.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 7:30 am

Interior is blue. Are the right and left belts and tensioners interchangable?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 am

Considering what your seat belt is designed to do, you might want to look at this:

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/

A used belt may have been stressed in a previous collision. This might cause it to fail when you need it most.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am

Walterf wrote:
Interior is blue.  Are the right and left belts and tensioners interchangable?
The belts are interchangeable, but the tensioners are not. So you have the coat hanger style upper anchors, or the cast style?
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2021 9:58 am

The upper anchors have a delta shape without a slot. Very heavy construction.

The Seatbelts plus site does not list the 91 OCC and not sure if universal replacement would bolt in and fit under molded carpet retainer.

I'm not comfortable with replacing the belt on to a different retainer - would rather find a bolt in replacement. Can't seem to visualize why right belt won't work on left side. THX
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 am

I have a pair of blue belts with the proper 91 upper anchors. I can supply a left, and right retractor. I would like $90 shipped for both. I may have covers for the anchors as well, but they may not be blue. You can get plastic paint in the correct color to match. If you need bolts, let me know the length, and I will include them for $3 each.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 pm

Thanks, Fred. My son was really impressed with your 373 wagon. Hope to see you at the March Wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm

That is a 454 in my wagon. Maybe he will be more impressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat belt tensioning?   Seat belt tensioning? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat belt tensioning?
Page 1 of 1