GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Empty
PostSubject: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 11:20 am

HOTEL is the Best Western right by I-95.
Call hotel Directly Best Western phone number: 386-258-6333. Information to get group rate is under a separate thread in this sub-group.

For those not in the know, Wagonfest started in 2006 (I think) in upstate New York. There is a separate thread about it and you can look at that for more info.

Wagonfest FL was born out of the SOFASST and GOFASST joint event at the Daytona Beach Spring Car Show. This show is now known as the Spring Turkey Run. This is by no means a full fledged shindig. It's a grassroots get together to celebrate GM's genius in creating the B-Body. While primarily a wagon event, anyone with a love of B or D bodies is more than welcome.

In order to attend the Wagonfest get together/show (your wagon/B-Body does NOT have to be show quality).
YOU MUST REGISTER FOR THE TURKEY RUN. . We have NO AFFILIATION with the Turkey Run. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU PRE REGISTER YOUR VEHICLE . Years past some people did not and were turned away at the gate.
Despite what the website says, they like our wagons and even some fairly rough looking ones have been allowed in. Being Pre-registered they pretty much wave you through without alot of scrutiny. You can register here Turkey Run Click on Car Show to be taken to the registration page. You are allowed to bring in 4 people per car so bring your friends!

When registering and asked about club affliation. YOU HAVE NO CLUB AFFILIATION. We are not an official club and do not want to be recognized as such.

If you have been to a show here, the venue is HUGE. Really one day is not enough to see everything.

So on to the good part

SHOW PARKING:
If you are going to be on one of the parking pads with us (we have 16 spots reserved, (first come, first served). They were $25 a slab (4 cars). Those that attend, we will divide 100 by the number of cars to make it equitable (I fronted the $100). See me Friday eve to get your 'slab pass'. If we go over 16 cars (doubt it this year), see the Sat morning meetup below so you can park together.

LIST OF ACTIVITIES:

FRIDAY:

The show is open and runs from 8-4 although it's lightly attended. May be a good time to hit the vendor area if you get in early enough.
Also there is a junkyard about a mile or two from the hotel if you like that (LKQ). They usually update their inventory online.
Usually, as people arrive and get settled, we either head to a local car wash (this can be it's own adventure) and then dinner.
I'm putting it out there if some want to head to the beach for an on the sand photo shoot, I would be up for that (beach driving shuts down at sunset so some advance planning is necessary).
Friday night back at the hotel, is usually an early night as we start fairly early in the morning, but there are usually old friends and new friends hanging out in the parking lot.

SATURDAY:
We meet up at 8AM in the shopping center parking lot just east of the hotel in order to meet up with the local day-trippers from Orlando, Tampa, and Jax. We then head out enmasse and drive around the backside of the track to the entry gate. It's an impressive site to see 30 b-bodies rolling in together. The show is huge with thousands of cars. You will be hard pressed to see every car in 8hrs. I pack a lunch and drinks in a cooler, it gets HOT out there.

SAT NITE:
The ever popular BBQ is canceled this year due to limits on gatherings, social distancing, etc.
On the fence about the Flamingos this year as it's going to be a smaller gathering.
There will be Sat night parking lot shenanigans as usual.

SUNDAY :
Many go back over to the show, however, attendance is ALOT lighter than Saturday. I usually hit the vendors now as it's a lot lighter crowd. If you stay long enough you get to drive a lap on the track and get a photo.

What should you bring you might ask?
A Few things we found were helpful last year on the infield:

SUNBLOCK - you'll be sorry if you don't

A small cooler with water and snacks - it's FLORIDA and it's hot. I pack a picnic lunch so I can spend more money in the vendor area, lol.

A couple of folding chairs - long day and sitting on the tailgate gets old - I'll bring a few as I understand the long haulers don't have lots of space.

Pop up sunshade tent (EZ-Up of the like) - If the sun's out, it gets roasty toasty out there, and there is not many spots to hide from it. ( 3 or 4 were brought last year and it was enough). - I have one I'm bringing.

Comfy shoes, you'll be walking....ALOT.

Camera, lot's of cool rods to take pics of.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 9:33 am

Friday is the best day for finding obscure parts, although the prices are not as negotiable as late Saturday or Sunday. If you are older like I am, you might want to bring your arthritis meds, or your joints will be sore. There is at least a mile of walking to see all the sellers, and there are no seats along the way.

Bring an umbrella too (golf size is good). Florida is known for instant rain showers, and it can be used as shade from the glaring sun between them. If it is sturdy, it can be a walking stick for those with weak knees.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 10:21 am

Their site says they will send a 2021 ticket to those of us who bought tickets to last year's cancelled event. Haven't received mine yet but it's early.

http://www.turkeyrun.com/events/car-show.html
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm

I just got mine on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Tickets for this year just arrived.

Reverend Bob
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 7:44 am

Got mine a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am

Got mine 2 days ago.
Back to top Go down
KidShilleen

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 am

Just registered at the hotel

Does anyone have an extra gate entry ticket....for this years event they're not using

Last edited by KidShilleen on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 am

KidShilleen wrote:
Just registered at the hotel

Does anyone have an extra gate entry ticket....from last years cancellation

They are sending a new ticket to all the people who registered last year.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 11:07 am

Is Sprocket still planning to meet early Friday morning to set up a caravan to guide us to the slabs?

Regarding pre-registering the vehicles, I rec'd a new ticket based on my 2020 [COVID cancelled] ticket purchase. Is anything further necessary to gain access to the slabs?

THX and hope to see y'all soon.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 11:15 am

We caravan on Sat. at 8am. If I remember correctly, we went to the slabs, were told where to parked and, and got our tickets there.

You just give them your new ticket when you enter.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 9:36 am

We meet SATURDAY 8AM behind the Krystal's by I-95 on the north side.
I have the passes for the slabs that you NEED in order to get to the slab to park.  Get with me Friday night or Saturday AM meetup.

We have 15 slots available on the slabs although right now looks like 7 or 8, so hopefully we can fill them up as I paid $100 for the slabs.  

IF YOU AREN'T PRE-REGISTERED, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU MEET UP AND ROLL IN WITH US (whales are a schooling species Smile  )

That way they won't give you grief about it not being a show car (the people at the gate have the power to deny, but have never turned away a pre-reg car, so if there are half a dozen other wagons right next to you, I don't see where they would say no).
Back to top Go down
KidShilleen

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2021 7:54 am

I haven't preregister...they're not doing it this year according to the website, but will register Friday on site....
Will they allow a Sedan in with 'the pod' or are they at all observant?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2021 7:59 am

The event is open to all types of vehicles as long as they are acceptable to the management. There are other sedans there, so I do not see why they would have a problem with your sedan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event   Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagonfest FL - Info Thread on the event
Page 1 of 1