GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
booster

Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Empty
PostSubject: Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side   Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm

It looks like I would be able to put them on either way, based on the drilled holes in them. Is that correct.

I just got through doing the chamber CCs after getting them back from the shop. They had to be angle cut to even them out end to end and brought to my CC request so not an easy machining job, for sure. They actually did really well considering it is not a custom job, but it is a really good shop, also. The chambers were remarkably even volume once straightened out so that made it easier, I think. I wound up with one head at nominal to .2cc under request and the other at nominal to .3 over request. That translates to them hitting within .0035" on mill height and with a different amount on each side and above .010" taper.

There certainly will be some difference in the deck height side to side, as there always is, from what I have seen. If I can swap heads side to side, I may be able to even out the .0035" different by selecting side and get everything even closer between cylinders.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side   Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 pm

The Part Numbers for Right and Left are the same.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side   Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 11:12 pm

Only thing I can share here: You'll have to shift the various plugs around if you do swap them left-to-right which may be easy or a nightmare depending on luck and what tools you have available.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side   Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 am

Thanks, no problem with the plugs as they are all out already. The ones I really had trouble with were the rear ones around the camshaft area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side   Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are 96 iron heads interchangeable side to side
Page 1 of 1