GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil capacity on totally new system

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Oil capacity on totally new system Empty
PostSubject: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Sanity check here as I'm ready to start putting the A/C back together. All components in the system are new and dry. The new compressor has no oil in it according to the label, and I did tip it over to verify that nothing spilled out.

The FSM says:

If compressor has less than 1oz, add 1oz
Condenser 1oz
Evaporator 3oz
Accumulator 3.5oz

So total in a completely new system according to this should be 8.5oz.

As far as adding it goes, is the right approach to fill each component separately with the appropriate quantity, or would it make more sense to draw the system down to a vacuum and then suck in 8.5oz?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm

You can pour the oil in each place either through the hoses, or directly. The oil suspends in the refrigerant, and travels throughout the system.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 5:48 pm

It's best to put the oil amounts in each component as they are installed. As Fred says, the oil will be pulled throughout the system during normal operation.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 am

Thanks guys - that's what I was planning on doing, so should be ok. Smile

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Just make sure that before you activate the compressor for the first time, you turn it by hand a bunch to get any and all liquid oil out of it, otherwise you'll slug the compressor and potentially damage it.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Yep, thanks for the reminder sherlock, I did turn it by hand a bunch of times and everything seems ok. I drew the system down and found that it wouldn't hold a vacuum. Detecting vacuum leaks is hard, so I shot some refrigerant in it and used a (not so great) sniffer and found a couple of leaking fittings. I'll keep monitoring it but my suspicion is there's still some leakage somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil capacity on totally new system   Oil capacity on totally new system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil capacity on totally new system
Page 1 of 1