GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1991 RMW ignition module woes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Porschetech1121

1991 RMW ignition module woes Empty
PostSubject: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:45 pm

First post! I've got a 1991 RMW that got a replacement distributor due to bad bushings in the original unit. I noticed that after I replaced the distributor, the tachometer would jump around at light throttle cruise and the engine would stutter ever so slightly. It did not act like that before. The distributor was a cheap, parts store brand replacement unit that came complete with cap, rotor, and ignition module. To try to diagnose the issue, I first put the original cap and rotor on the new distributor and there was no change. I then swapped out the ignition module with the original factory module and the problem went away. I put the new cap and rotor back on and the problem was still gone. Great! Problem solved. Fast forward to this past summer, the car will try to stall out when it gets SUPER hot under the hood, usually waiting in busy drive-through lines or at long red lights when it's over 90ish degrees outside. I was able to reproduce the problem in my driveway and found it was a lack of spark. I replaced the ignition coil, no change. I've had TBI GM trucks do this to me when the ignition module was going bad. I ordered a generic, but quality, ignition module and my stutter/erratic tachometer problem returned immediately. I then ordered a factory replacement ACDelco ignition module and installed it. Same deal, the tachometer jumped around and the engine stuttered at light throttle. If I put the original 1991 ignition module back in, the problem goes away, except for the stalling in the summertime. Has anyone run into this problem before? Does everybody, including ACDelco, get their modules made by the same company nowadays? Do all new modules have some internal update that causes this issue? It seems odd that the only thing that behaves itself is the original ignition module. I doubt it's a grounding problem or a wiring problem, seeing as swapping out ignition modules changes the behavior.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:32 pm

I know it may seem dumb but have you disconnected the battery when switching out the modules? and have you made sure to have good thermal paste one the under side of the modules when you've installed them?

had my 89 crew cab acting up when it got hot under the hood similar to some of what your experiencing, but I replaced the factory ignition module with an accel one, disconnected the battery, reconnected it and the truck ran fine.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 9:24 am

What you have is a heat related issue (besides the aftermarket ignition modules). Have you swapped either/or the IAT or water temp sensors? There is a spark control module on the passenger's side on the relay bracket, and beside the AC accumulator. I have not heard of them going bad, but it is possible. I had hot start issues with both my OCCs, and have never fully diagnosed them. Clear any codes in the computer while you are at it. The fuse for the computer/fuel pump is the small fuse container on the relay bracket on the passenger's side. If you remove the fuse for at least 2 minutes, the computer codes will be cleared.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 12:04 pm

I had a hot start issue with my 91 OCC. I was advised at the Wagonfest that it could be the starter. I changed the starter and the problem went away. I know this reply has nothing to do with the ignition module, but the issues may be unrelated.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 pm

You might want to reestablish the ground at the thermostat housing. It controls the computer, O2 sensor, and one other thing that I forget.
Back to top Go down
MSki

MSki

PostSubject: I rebuilt my 220 carb (injectors still good), '91 OCC, and replaced EGR . Basically it's all about the fuel system at this point. Varnish is not our friend in the new age of a fuel system.   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 11:28 pm

Porschetech1121 wrote:
First post!  I've got a 1991 RMW that got a replacement distributor due to bad bushings in the original unit.  I noticed that after I replaced the distributor, the tachometer would jump around at light throttle cruise and the engine would stutter ever so slightly.  It did not act like that before.  The distributor was a cheap, parts store brand replacement unit that came complete with cap, rotor, and ignition module.  To try to diagnose the issue, I first put the original cap and rotor on the new distributor and there was no change.  I then swapped out the ignition module with the original factory module and the problem went away.  I put the new cap and rotor back on and the problem was still gone.  Great!  Problem solved.  Fast forward to this past summer, the car will try to stall out when it gets SUPER hot under the hood, usually waiting in busy drive-through lines or at long red lights when it's over 90ish degrees outside.  I was able to reproduce the problem in my driveway and found it was a lack of spark.  I replaced the ignition coil, no change.  I've had TBI GM trucks do this to me when the ignition module was going bad.  I ordered a generic, but quality, ignition module and my stutter/erratic tachometer problem returned immediately.  I then ordered a factory replacement ACDelco ignition module and installed it.  Same deal, the tachometer jumped around and the engine stuttered at light throttle.  If I put the original 1991 ignition module back in, the problem goes away, except for the stalling in the summertime.  Has anyone run into this problem before?  Does everybody, including ACDelco, get their modules made by the same company nowadays?  Do all new modules have some internal update that causes this issue?  It seems odd that the only thing that behaves itself is the original ignition module.  I doubt it's a grounding problem or a wiring problem, seeing as swapping out ignition modules changes the behavior.
Back to top Go down
MSki

MSki

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Oil pressure sensor
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 8:56 am

Try the ground at the thermostat housing. It is the ground for the computer, and O2 sensor. Does your car throw any codes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1991 RMW ignition module woes   1991 RMW ignition module woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1991 RMW ignition module woes
Page 1 of 1