GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pulling heads

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HoosierDaddy

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Hello all!

Its been awhile since I posted. Last winter my 96 RMW overheated when it was subzero. I expected to find a stuck thermostat but tracked it back to simply low coolant. I had a mechanic check it out and he could not find a leak, and suggested it had a blown head gasket. I've put some miles on it since then, and it runs fine, except its losing about a half gallon of coolant every 250 miles.

I have some broken exhaust manifold bolts and I'm thinking about pulling the heads to repair those and see if I can find the leak. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2021 8:53 pm

A blown head gasket would show up in other ways than just coolant loss. That much coolant loss would certainly be detectable in the exhaust or in engine performance. Any sign of contamination in the engine oil?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 7:57 am

Do you have white exhaust smoke? That is direct evidence of a coolant to cylinder gasket leak. If you pull your plugs, and some are really clean, that is where the leak is.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 10:28 am

has the engine ever struggled to crank at all?

had one of my trucks where it would crank fine but suddenly slow down before cranking fast again (almost as if one cylinder was binding on part of it's stroke) once it was running it was fine and I drove it that way for over a year before the truck overheated due to low coolant, and yes it was because of a blown head gasket which was also causing the crank issue aswell due to coolant in the cylinder, but the only thing other then the odd cranking was vapor out the exhaust, problem was the problem started in the winter.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2021 8:49 am

heater core is probably leaking. had same thing and took me a month to figure out. check the AC drip line for coolant as it will leak into the condensation tray and leave that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulling heads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling heads   Pulling heads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulling heads
Page 1 of 1