GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
heavywoody

LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Empty
PostSubject: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 11:21 pm

96 RMW LT1

So I am doing a major overhaul on my 96 wagon, and on that note, the intake manifold gaskets are being replaced.  While I had the manifold off, I figured I would replace the stock plastic oil pump drive housing with an aluminum unit from Tick Performance.  I swapped over the drive gear since I am still on stock cam, and the gear wasn't worn at all.

Getting it back in so I can reinstall the intake manifold is proving to be a giant pain in the rear!  I've spent all day today trying to get the dang thing to go back in.
This is what I've done to try and get it installed so far:

• Turned the pump shaft to align the slot at both 12-6 and 3-9
  • Drew a Sharpie line on top of the shaft to correlate with the slot below so I could see the alignment
  • Used 1500 grit sandpaper to make sure the inside of the drive gear and the slot that goes into the pump shaft were clean
  • Put the assembly in and rotated the crank to try to get the slots to align
  • Lubricated the drive gear, the housing, and the slot/hole in the drive gear with fresh oil
  • Put a dial indicator down inside the assembly on top of the shaft to monitor if the shaft started to drop down into place

What am I missing??? Do I need to have someone "wiggle" the assembly up and down while I turn the crank?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2021 2:20 pm

Try installing it without the gear to see if it's the gear/drive or the housing that's hanging up.

Personally, I'd just put a washer under the existing bolt to spread the clamping load, and put the stock bracket back in.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 am

Have you tried reinstalling the original drive gear to see if the problem is with the new gear, or something else?
Back to top Go down
heavywoody

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2021 12:19 am

I got it on... note to self - take pictures of how parts are assembled for future reference. My memory is getting worse with age.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 10:06 am

What was the issue?
Back to top Go down
heavywoody

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 7:59 pm

Don't laugh - I put the drive gear on backwards.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 9:22 am

It happens. I recently [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], forgot to hook up the alternator control wire, drove the car around all day on battery and wondered why I lost transmission and ABS electronics, and then came out of work to a dead battery.   Duh...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes   LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LT1 gurus - Oil pump drive installation woes
Page 1 of 1