GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
roadsurfer

brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Empty
PostSubject: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am

hello,

does anyone have a new or low mileage water pump drive gear assembly for sale? (1994 RMW) So far they are unavailable nationwide according to every parts dealer i have contacted, and may not be manufactured anymore by GM.

i want to replace mine because it is scratched on the shaft where the engine cover seal rests on it, resulting in an oil leak.
if i remove mine and have a machine shop polish the scratch out of the shaft, will the oil seal still fit snugly enough
around the shaft to be an effective seal? the scratch is very shallow but you can just catch it with your fingernail.
as tightly as those seals go on over the shaft, i would think that a little metal could be removed all the way around the shaft and it still be a good fit.

Thanks a lot,

Anthony

Gainesville, Florida
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 1:33 am

polish it yourself,.
fine emery cloth and a hand drill,...
If you needone Pm your adress and i'll send you one,.
Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

also, should there be play in the shaft of the water pump drive gear when the oil seal is removed but the unit is still
attached to the block? I can wiggle mine a bit . I was told that it is normal because once it is connected to the
water pump it is stabilized......... sounds reasonable, but it doesn't feel reasonable when i wiggle it.... makes me uneasy.

a mechanic also told me that a bad cam shaft or cam shaft bearing could make the water pump drive seal leak oil.
the cam shaft would not be spinning true, which would drive the water pump gear unevenly, which would make the
shaft wobble in the seal, and then leak oil. true? i hope not.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

camshaft wobble?
thats funny right there,..

put a new seal on lube it up good when installing it ,..

if it still leaks,. report back,..
Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm

sent you a pm. did you get it?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 10:34 am

Who is this kind,caring Phantom,and what have you done with Nick? Question
Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

PostSubject: update   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 pm

i bought a used gear in very good condition on ebay. i also bought a gear puller to remove the old one.
it seems as though most people who have removed their gear already had the intake removed and just whacked the gear
assembly out from the backside of the housing, but using the special puller was the best and easiest way to remove it
from the front without risking any collateral damage.

when installed, yes there is plenty of wobble or play in the gear shaft, but once the seal and water pump are installed,
it is held firmly in place. while i was that far into the front of the engine, i decided to replace the timing set as well.

i just put it all back together and drove 18 miles. i know it wasn't very far, but no leaks at all. it used to leak badly, instantly.

fingers are crossed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?   brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brother, can you spare a water pump drive gear?
Page 1 of 1