GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil filler cap

Go down 
+3
goldwolfnhn
jayoldschool
Wojtek
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 1:21 pm

I'm doing some engine compartment clean up and got rid of the home plate set up and ordered a CAI . The oil filler now sticks up and I'd like to remove it ,it just unscrews ,and run a normal cap .Will cap cap from a Camaro or Corvette work or will I have to replace the valve cover because of the way the filler tube attaches to it ?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 4:49 pm

You can run the stock cap on that valve cover without the tower. Unscrew tower, put cap on valve cover. Easy.

Swaggerwagon and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks !
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 10:01 pm

do different year LT1 equipped cars have different oil caps? as on mine while the neck is threaded the cap is a twist lock so you can't pull the neck off and put the cap directly on the valve cover.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Unscrewed the tower and the stock cap is larger and does not screw in as goldwolfnhn mentioned above . I can't see GM using a valve cover specific to this application ,looked at LT1 Camaro and Vett caps on Ebay and they don't look like they screw on but I maybe wrong. Planning to go to Pull A Part to look for some stuff I guess I'll add a cap to the list before I order a new one .
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am

On my '94 it just fit right on the valve cover. I have the same issue as you two on my 95 ( my 94 was wrecked and long gone).

That said I just recalled my 94, I swapped the valve covers as the originals were rusty and I got hold of a minty fresh pair, so not sure where they came from. Big help I know, lol. But you are both right ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 10:18 am

94 Woody noticed on your post that you don't have the oil filter cap extension on your car did you change the valve cover or find a cap that works with the stock cover ? I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine compartment and getting rid of the stock air cleaner assembly don't like the look of the extension .
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Wojtek wrote:
94 Woody noticed on your post that you don't have the oil filter cap extension on your car did you change the valve cover or find a cap that works with the stock cover ?  I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine compartment and getting rid of the stock air cleaner assembly don't like the look of the extension .

Neither. I used the cap that was on the extension. Fits perfectly. Did the same thing on my old 94 as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 8:12 am

Tried this again and the cap itself is to big to fit the hole so at this point I guess GM made different valve covers ? . I'll be going to the local Pull a Part maybe I'll luck out and find a set of covers I can use I was going to replace the gaskets and repaint them anyway .
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2021 8:13 am

Sounds like someone has substituted the cap & tower from an S-10 application.

These were one of the few that still used threads in the cover, but had the quarter turn receptacle on top.

It was also a way back in the day to use of the Corvette Mobil 1 cap without changing the factory covers.

You will probably have a hard time finding a set of stamped covers that use a quarter-turn cap.

Usually those are reserved for the cast ones.

Unless you fall across a set cheap, it will be a lot easier to go get a threaded cap and be done with it.

- J

Last edited by JaySS on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Any parts store should have the correct (screw in ) cap for the valve cover. That particular cap was used on small block chevy engines for decades.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 am

Success ! Went to Pull A Part and found a 93 Caprice and got the valve covers off of it. The oil filler cap is totally different than the one on the wagon it screws in while the one on the wagon is apparently the quarter turn version . A good clean up ,repaint ,new grommets ,gaskets ,cap and stainless allen center bolts and another thing to cross off my to do list .

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 12:54 pm

watch the clearance between the alternator and the valve cover with the non LT1 valve covers, I know there's a place that sells low profile alternators for LT1 cars but I forget the name of the place
Back to top Go down
Dandy

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Here is a link to the shallow body alternator for LT1 Cars. They are often out of stock. I actually ordered on up a few weeks ago in the event that I decide to change out my valve covers, which I may end up having to due when the new roller rockers are installed. I wish I could find covers that had Buick on them instead of Chevy/Chevrolet. If anyone sees any cool valve covers for Chev small block, let me know.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm

If you have the big alternator you may have problems getting TBI covers to fit.

If you do, just put the oil cap in your current cover and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil filler cap  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap    Oil filler cap  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil filler cap
Page 1 of 1