GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

partially bent lower trailing arm

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

partially bent lower trailing arm Empty
PostSubject: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 8:27 pm

No idea when this might have happened, just noticed today while under the car. Looks like someone may have lifted the car from that spot instead of the frame... The right side lower trailing arm has a nice bend in one side.

partially bent lower trailing arm VFY8YP6

partially bent lower trailing arm MNdTtnU

Best option would be to replace the arm, not sure if I can bend it back into shape or if that is advisable to do...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 9:01 pm

If you bend it back to shape, you should box it, and do the other one at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 pm

I wouldn't do anything with it - not worth the trouble/hassle or risk of "collateral damage"

silverfox103, rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 am

^^^ Exactly

If the car aligns properly, drives properly and isn't eating tires I would leave it alone. Only one side is bent up so the mounting points should still be correct.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am

The strength of the arm is compromised. At least replace it with an undamaged one. If you get a donor with new bushings, make the other side match.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 am

I know the front end alignment is off, but otherwise it seems to drive and handle normally. Nothing else in the frame looked out of position and the suspension seems to articulate properly. I had jack stands under the axle and was lifting the frame with a jack to get the rear wheels off and on.

I'll leave it be for now and look for a replacement next time we go to the junk yard.

Are the trailing arms the same length/size in the sedans?

I agree Fred that it is compromised and needs to be repaired.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am

The arms are the same for all B and D bodies.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 1:32 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
I know the front end alignment is off, but otherwise it seems to drive and handle normally. Nothing else in the frame looked out of position and the suspension seems to articulate properly. I had jack stands under the axle and was lifting the frame with a jack to get the rear wheels off and on.

I'll leave it be for now and look for a replacement next time we go to the junk yard.

Are the trailing arms the same length/size in the sedans?

I agree Fred that it is compromised and needs to be repaired.

95% SURE I have one in Florida I don't need. I'll check for sure (that it's a lower one) if you are interested. I had one on wagon bent the same way and drove the car for a couple months before I replaced it, so not a show stopper..

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: partially bent lower trailing arm   partially bent lower trailing arm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

partially bent lower trailing arm
Page 1 of 1