GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Empty
PostSubject: Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue   Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am

Guys, recently my wife wanted to start the engine after work to go home, it didn´t crank any more, but the dash lights didn´t get weak when operating the key, but the starter didn´t crank the engine. So it seems not to be the battery,  I went to pick her up, and when I tried to start the engine it did immediately. I don´t think that it was a sign of respect to a man, maybe a demo effect ....I don´t know. But what I want to discuss is the reason of the malfunction. May it be the ignition switch or the solenoid switch of the starter motor ? Are there any issues known with these parts to be prone to crack? Is something to analyse with the ignition switch, any contact issues? I don´t trust to let her go with the car with a clear concience....thanks for advices !
Back to top Go down
Bucky53

PostSubject: Re: Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue   Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Did she trigger the key fault by chance. Once I turned the key on and then off real quick and I got to sit there for a few minutes until it reset. Did you use your key and she used her well worn key by any chance. Maybe she wasn't in park or neutral.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue   Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 5:19 pm

to me it sounds like the starter might be starting to go bad if it's never been replaced, my 86 crew cab dually does that now and then, I turn the key and get nothing or I just get a click like a dead battery but then I cycle the ignition a couple more times and the starter suddenly starts working again and the ignition switch tested out fine.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue   Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 8:43 am

BuickRM wrote:
Guys, recently my wife wanted to start the engine after work to go home, it didn´t crank any more, but the dash lights didn´t get weak when operating the key, but the starter didn´t crank the engine. So it seems not to be the battery,  I went to pick her up, and when I tried to start the engine it did immediately. I don´t think that it was a sign of respect to a man, maybe a demo effect ....I don´t know. But what I want to discuss is the reason of the malfunction. May it be the ignition switch or the solenoid switch of the starter motor ? Are there any issues known with these parts to be prone to crack? Is something to analyse with the ignition switch, any contact issues? I don´t trust to let her go with the car with a clear concience....thanks for advices !

from what you describe it was the VATS (vehicle Anti-theft system).   Assuming the car is a 1994-96 otherwise this doesn't apply to the older ones.   There is a pellet resistor in the key, it is read and if the resistance value is read out of range, the car is disabled from starting for about 3-5 minutes and the PASS KEY light lights up.  when the light goes out, you can try again.

I have had the issue on at lease 3 mid 90s GM cars (two of my wagons and on my Mom's '96 Camaro.  

you can measure the key with a meter and splice a resistor inline (cheap and easy) solution and the problem should go away.  I've done it that way on all of the ones I had issues and the problem is gone.   You can also program it out of the PCM, via a new tune. (about $100 or so) vs. $1.00 for a resistor or two.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This article was for a different car, but basically outlines the steps to take. searching on F-body forums or B-Body forums will get the exact instructions. (at work and only a minute to look).

Now if your car is a 91-93 , then it's a different issue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue   Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine doesn´t crack, lights are burning, no Battery issue
Page 1 of 1