GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Key Replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
68JCode

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Key Replacement   Key Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 10:28 am

Hi guys. I am always on the lookout for a B-Body to save and found a 1995 RMS for sale locally that the seller claims has a 'lost key'.

Any tips on how to rekey this thing? I assume it is a chip key, since I think they all were by 1995.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
booster

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key Replacement   Key Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Does it have a clear title with his name and address on it, or is that "lost" also?  I would be very careful and also make sure to see his ID if you do buy it.  That would also mean you can't hear it run or even try it?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key Replacement   Key Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 3:35 pm

The owner can take the title to a dealer, and they can make a key for the car...for a price. Some lock shops can do the same, and maybe for a little less $$$.
Back to top Go down
68JCode

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Good ideas   Key Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm

I agree, a 'lost' key sounds super sketchy so no title = no sale. Also no running = not worth much more than scrap value. That is what I mean but 'saving' a B-Body - this thing definitely deserves a better home than it has right now.

I kind of assumed no dealer would know what a VATS is these days, but maybe they used them for longer than I thought. I will call a couple of dealers and locksmiths today.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key Replacement   Key Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 7:10 pm

The service department knows what VATS is and they know how to make the keys for it.

Car is most likely stolen or previously scrapped by an insurance company. Friend of mine bought a no title car and easily got a new one through a tow company. One fuel pump and some new tires later and it turned into a nice car.

Can also use the "Vermont Loophole".

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Key Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key Replacement   Key Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Key Replacement
Page 1 of 1