GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear sway bars for a RMW

Go down 
+2
booster
Wojtek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wojtek

Wojtek

Rear sway bars for a RMW Empty
PostSubject: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm always on the look out for ways to improve my wagon and have been following the sway bar threads . I know they come in 3 sizes with the largest 21mm pretty hard to find used . A seller on Ebay has new 15mm bars for sale for $45.00 they are made by Dorman I believe . The Pull A Part near me has a 92 Crown Vic cop car which I believe are 17 mm but this is Ohio and I got to believe rusty but I'm set up to blast it clean at the house . I'm not trying to make a rally car out of this just improve the handling a bit so with all that's involved in mounting one would it be worth it to wait and find a larger diameter bar I also have the air shock set up which I'm planning on keeping if this makes a difference .  ?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 pm

I had a Crown Vic bar in my wagon that I put in shortly after I got it. It was a non cop car version, I think, new from Ford dealer. It helped quite a bit but always felt like it was not enough bar for the car. Last winter I finally found a less overpriced Hotchkiss hollow set that was still a bunch. Big, but hollow so about the same weight as the stock bar in front but tight to fit because of the size. Once I got a chance to drive it, I found it was worth the cost as it really got rid of the understeer. It gives me a lot more a lot more flexibility on the tire pressures as I don't need a big front to rear stagger to reduce understeer.

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 am

I took a look at ebay and didn't run across the bar you mentioned, but ebay is that way and sometimes you need to look at a whole bunch of search terms to see what you want. A link would be good.

A Crown Vic bar is a conventional bar with link ends, so substantially more work to put in than a stock style that mounts to the lower control arms with two bolts per side.

One thing I did see on ebay are some bars and bar sets that claim the can be used for sedans and wagons and they use the lower arm mounts. My understanding is that this is impossible as they are different widths between the arms.

The Hotchkiss bars I got are hollow but the relative diameters still reflect the spring rates. They are 1 7/16" in the front and 1 3/8" in the rear and took the car to near or at neutral which is what I was looking for. I wouldn't take it that far if I was driving it in the winter here in Minnesota as it is good to have some understeer then to prevent spinning out a lot with rear drive. I think this indicates that bars of nearly the same to slightly smaller rear would put the cars near neutral if that is what you are looking for. I think the Impala SS rear bars were quite large.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 1:01 pm

So would a 94/96 Impala SS rear bar be basically a bolt on with no clearance issues if so that maybe the direction I'm going
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Everything I have heard would say no, like I said above because of distance between the lower control arms being different.

Fred Kiehl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am

I have a 21mm bar from a CV. I am willing to sell it and the attachment hardware for $100 plus shipping.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I have a 21mm bar from a CV. I am willing to sell it and the attachment hardware for $100 plus shipping.
PM sent
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 8:29 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

good price with the mounting hardware. I paid $70 for the bar alone when they were being discontinued from Ford.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 1:58 pm

P.M sent Fred ,again Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2022 12:01 pm

A big thank you to Fred for the sway bar setup and the lock mechanism arrived yesterday ! He is the go to guy for hard to find parts .
Back to top Go down
skatterbrane

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 10:51 am

Wagon rear axel is wider than the sedans, as are the mounting points for the lower control arms.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 4:55 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
Wagon rear axel is wider than the sedans, as are the mounting points for the lower control arms.  

Everybody knew that.

94Woody and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 9:58 am

Be nice fred 🙃
His brane, is , skattered
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 pm

I guess you are right about his brane.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear sway bars for a RMW   Rear sway bars for a RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear sway bars for a RMW
Page 1 of 1