GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
booster

B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Empty
PostSubject: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 8:37 pm

I ran across these on ebay while looking for some other stuff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Says they are for the Camaro and SS which AFAIK have the alternator on the passenger side just like the wagons and sedan B bodies in 94-96.

First ones I have run across that are notched and stock height.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 9:03 pm

Those have been available for a long time. I always look at them and think, I should buy these. Then I remember that my hood is never raised because it is a filthy mess under there, lol.

Sprocket and sherlock9c1 like this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 9:44 pm

94Woody wrote:
Those have been available for a long time. I always look at them and think, I should buy these. Then I remember that my hood is never raised because it is a filthy mess under there, lol.

I would be hoping they would be flatter, stiffer and maybe better sealing than the originals which seem to be very prone to leakage, but that is probably wishful thinking from cheap cast covers.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2022 6:30 pm

Have seen them in person and they are a better piece than the stamped steel things the factory used.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2022 10:58 pm

You can always use a flat plate with sandpaper on it to make sure the gasket mating surface is flat.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 6:45 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You can always use a flat plate with sandpaper on it to make sure the gasket mating surface is flat.

Yep, done that many times on items. Unfortunately, these have small gasket retaining lips around the gasket surface so those would have to come off and that is probably not a great idea.

If I did get them, I think I would have to put them in the vertical mill to check and carefully machine the gasket surface (not a CNC so would be manual cranking around the corners).
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 2:57 pm

Interesting. Have never had a sealing issue with a stamped steel cover with the center bolt arrangement. They use a super thick rubber gasket that conforms to flat surface of the head very nicely.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:58 am

FWIW, I've had problems with stock valve covers leaking if they've ever been of and laying around a shop for any length of time. Not the valve covers' fault, though. They are easily bent, and not easily straightened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers   B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

B body specific LT1 aluminum valve covers
Page 1 of 1