GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zanethan

TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Empty
PostSubject: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 11:56 am

So it’s time to replace the intake manifold gaskets on my ‘92 RMW. I’ve watched some YouTube videos and it looks fairly straight forward. My question is many say you need to turn the engine to TDC before you remove the distributor. Is this step necessary or can I just mark where the rotor is prior to removal? I’m not trying to cut corners but it seems as long as I don’t try turning the engine over it would be fine to just mark the rotor and turn it to the same position upon reinstallation. While I’m mechanically inclined, this will be the first distributor I’ve removed as well.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 6:17 pm

If you don't turn the engine, it really makes no difference where the distributor is. As long as nothing moves and you mark where the rotor is pointing and make sure it is back in the exact same position it should be fine.

94Woody and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Zanethan

PostSubject: Re: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Thanks! Secondary question, I’ve never in my life dealt with checking timing. Is that strictly necessary as well?
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2022 9:37 am

I would say checking the timing is pretty important after removing and reinstalling the distributor. You want the timing to be correct so the computer can control it properly. Chances are good that nothing will change but it's a good idea to double check and be 100%.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2022 1:40 pm

It is easy to check anyway. disconnect the 2 wire connector on the passenger's side valve cover, start the engine, and put your timing light on it. Set it to "0", reconnect the connector, tighten the distributor bolt, and you are good to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement   TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
Page 1 of 1