GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cold starting trouble

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Isurf

Isurf

Cold starting trouble  Empty
PostSubject: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2022 5:11 pm

Recently I have been getting lean error codes on both banks. Cold starts are challenging, takes multiple attempts, but once warmed up starts immediately.

I did break a vacuum nipple off a junction kind of under the factory intake area. 1/4 inch nipple, much larger lines pass through.

I have extremely limited time off, so any good advice to fix would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2022 7:40 pm

Ensure you don't have any vacuum leaks, throttle blades close all the way and the IAC is functioning properly.

If that all checks out good, what does the ECM think the coolant temp is when you "cold" start it?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2022 8:03 pm

Sounds like the temp sensor in the water pump is stuck on the warm side.

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 6:35 am

Thanks, dashboard temp starts full cold and rises as I drive. Will check starting temp today. What is IAC? I'm pretty sure I have a vacuum leak. I need to replace the piece with the broken nipple.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If anyone has a spare of this part, or knows of a source, please let me know. I hope to hit the yards and look for one. Time is not my friend and wagonfest ny is coming up fast

Pre start (cold) temp reads 88

Last edited by Isurf on Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 8:06 am

Not concerned with what the dashboard temp says - it's what the ECU thinks the coolant temp is. This will require a scanner of some sort.

IAC = Idle Air Control, it's a little stepper motor that moves a plunger that meters air across the main throttle blades. The ECU controls it so when things like the A/C comes on, it opens a bit to give the engine a bit more power to maintain idle speed, then when the A/C turns off, it closes a bit.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 8:18 am

Blue driver reads 88 pre startup. Will check again at work and update
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 am

Blue Driver?

88F or 88C

What is the temp outside?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 12:40 pm

ECM temp should be Celsius so if it is seeing 88 that puts it at 190 F which is way off.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 1:24 pm

Blue driver is the only odb2 reader I found that works with the 96 roadmaster.

Temp is displayed in fahrenheit commute ztarted at 88 finished 5ish miles later at 207. I'm leaning to vacuum leak somewhere. Will be tying to locate it with a can of ether tomorrow.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Got it - Thanks for the clarifications

As long as the temp of wherever you started the car was around 88F, I'd say it's not the temp sensor lying to the ECU.

Let us know what you find with the vacuum leaks. Once it's running, you can spray some brake/carb/etc cleaner (something flammable) in the various areas to check for leaks. When the engine speeds up/stumbles/changes idle, you've found it Smile.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2022 12:27 pm

seems to respond to ether sprayed under home plate. I guess it's time to go buy a hockey puck.

OK so I found a leak with starter fluid. It's a 90 degree elbow into the intake manifold with what appears to be a reduced size connecting to a port on driver side just about dead center between front and rear of manifold. Leak is at end of red straw used to spray ether if I can get the picture to load

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

glennb49 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 pm

Replaced a leaking vacuum hose. No change, still hard starting cold, easy starts warm.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 9:50 pm

Any chance there's a 2nd leak somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 am

always a chance
just very frustrating

Shop wants to replace fuel pump, I'm not yet convinced
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 11:35 am

It was the fuel pump. Screen had fallen off. Shop replaced with a carter pump. Hopefully will last as long as the original.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Isurf wrote:
It was the fuel pump. Screen had fallen off. Shop replaced with a carter pump. Hopefully will last as long as the original.

How in the world did they get a Carter pump? I tried of weeks to get one. Carter listed them and said that local parts houses could order them. I tried every one that said purchased from them and none could/would do it. If the shop would give up the secret, that would be a good thing as they are alleged to be very good pumps if they are the same as in the past and not just another private label Chinese one from the same factory as all the others.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm

They told me they were getting a delphi. The box (yes i wanted to see the old stuff) says Carter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold starting trouble    Cold starting trouble  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold starting trouble
Page 1 of 1