GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
68JCode

Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Empty
PostSubject: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2022 9:18 pm

Hi guys, maybe an oddball question here, but is there a way to confirm actual vehicle mileage other than the odometer? i.e. is it stored in the computer and accessible by OBD I or OBD II? I would think it must be since the later Caprices have the digital speedo / odo. Unless it is somehow stored in the cluster on those cars.

I come across some too good to be true low mileage cars sometimes and it would be helpful to have a way to tell that the cluster has not been changed or odo turned back.

Thanks,

Andrew
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2022 10:51 pm

As far as I know that information is stored in the cluster itself and cannot be found in the PCM.

Sprocket and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 11:35 am

The 91-93 is only mechanical, except for the 9C1 & Caprice LS.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 10:25 am

Like Billy Said, regardless of the year, it's all on the cluster. Clusters are easy to swap.

The early mechanical ones can also be manipulated physically.
I just had a Caprice cluster 'go dark' on my 95 wagon. I took it apart and swapped over the actual display board into the new cluster to maintain my proper mileage (replacement cluster had more)
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Odometers, digital or otherwise, can be manipulated to tell a story. You can run a CarFax, check the VIN against multiple online databases, and ask for maintenance records. I do this for any car with below average mileage on the clock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?   Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odometer mileage in ECU / PCM?
Page 1 of 1