GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When / if to rub out - need advice

Go down 
5 posters

What should I do?
Scuff and recoat.
When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_lcap100%When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
Rub it out now before it fully cures.
When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_lcap0%When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Rub it out after the 7-day full cure time.
When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_lcap0%When / if to rub out - need advice Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

When / if to rub out - need advice Empty
PostSubject: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:59 pm

My wife and I just repainted our kitchen stove from avocado green to white. This is the second time we've done this; the first time, we used appliance paint and it turned out fantastic. The only downside is that the heat eventually did a lot of the paint in (it turned brown).

So we chemically stripped and then repainted the whole oven with Rustoleum engine paint (500F) in gloss white. The problem is that I think I didn't lay the coats down real uniformly so while it's all white, there are variations in the gloss: glossy spots and flat scratchy The whole stove is uniformly white

The paint says that I can recoat after 24 hours, and it takes 7 days to fully cure. What to do?

A. Rub out the paint with rubbing compound. When do I do this? Now? Or wait until after 7 days?
B. Scuff and recoat with a thicker coat to give even gloss. I tried this on a different piece and was only marginally successful.

What's your advice?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Not sure what the answer is here, but if the stove is Avocado Green, it is 40 or 50 years old. The Mrs. probably does not want you to succeed.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 11:33 pm

scrap it! make the wife happy buy her a new one, or a slightly used one try craigslist

http://erie.craigslist.org/app/1897755059.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tag/1902910647.html
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 am

How about option D - "Hire a professional spray painter... (Hey Bill, what's your availability?)" Very Happy

I'd encourage caution with the whole scuffing and shooting option. I've had a bad experience with Rustoleum when I scuffed and immediately reshot - to the point they had to cut me a FAT check for the project their product ruined and I had to completley redo.

Apparently - Rustoleum is fish oil based, so even if it's cured and you sand on it - you re-expose the chemicals in the paint and then have to let it cure AGAIN. Maybe the engine paint is a different story and you'd be good to go - but I figured I'd share what I'd learned the hard way to hopefully save you some grief.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 am

Replacing the stove is not an option. It is a 40" wide unit with a companion oven. Used 30" units are on CL all day long for $150. 40" units are just not available used (we've looked for months), and new ones are around $1600. We will renovate our kitchen before we buy another one of this size.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Wetsand then buff with compound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When / if to rub out - need advice   When / if to rub out - need advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When / if to rub out - need advice
Page 1 of 1