GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Floor pan rust!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Stretch

Floor pan rust! Empty
PostSubject: Floor pan rust!   Floor pan rust! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 am

Got my gray seats out finally, along with carpet, etc. (only found like $1.25 in change under all that, what a bust!).

Anyway, while inspecting, I found a minor amount of surface rust that I will hit before I lay it all back in, but one spot on the passenger side, up on the foot rest return, has a 1-1/2" spot that concerns me. it is in a location that could not be from standing water, as it is on the sloped area, so it must be coming from the engine side of the fire wall. is this a problem spot for these cars? and apart from removal and welding, is there a reasonably cheep fix? probably a stupid question, but anyways...?

Anybody need free seats, motors, wiring harness, door switches, etc. from a gray '95? the seats are in great condition, with only one or two smoke ash burns (not from me), and an arm rest that needs a little hinge work. I am even re-working the second row with bonnies, so I have the bench and up-right for this seat too. All free, I just don't want to throw them out unless nobody wants it...

My bonnies are ready to go with mods to the rear floor brackets, so is the console shift and overhead console. Also doing the stereo wiring to a rear amp / subwoofer, and second row / rear aux. power outlets.

Funny..., jacked my own post!

Stretch
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

Floor pan rust! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floor pan rust!   Floor pan rust! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 4:24 am

Luckily the floor in my 93 is solid as can be but I remember the floorpans in my 92' wagon were TERRIBLE, even for NJ. I personally believe that the water was coming in through the antenna hole and it kept the jute insulation wet which led to the blistering and eventual rot of 2/3 of the pass floorpan. The drivers side wasn't too bad. As far as a fix goes... Standard cut, weld(or panelbond) with weldthru primer on all seams, seam sealer(brush on type) then prime/paint bare metal then undercoat the shit out of the underside and prime/topcoat the inside. Krylon or any type of spraypaint should do fine... While you are in there, check for "loose" seam sealer and grommets on the firewall and repair seams with the seam sealer and grommets with RTV.

Take lots of pics of the Bonnie install, especially the rear. Would make a great thread for the tech section... What a Face What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
Stretch

Floor pan rust! Empty
PostSubject: Sage advice...   Floor pan rust! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 am

I knew it would be the order of the magnitude for repairing this problem. I am still curious why it chose that specific area. I thought it may be a chronic problem where possibly vibrating parts are rubbing through? I will search how to post pictures here, and get it up later tonight. very odd!

I will do my best to document the bonnies. Fronts are well documented elsewhere as it stands, but rears are not, so I will endeavor to do my best on those.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down

Floor pan rust! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floor pan rust!   Floor pan rust! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Pat (buickestate), would be the resident metal repair wizard around here, I'm sure he will chime in. Pics would help greatly, if you have no idea how to post them just check out the picture section for an illustrated how-to on posting pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Floor pan rust! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floor pan rust!   Floor pan rust! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Floor pan rust!
Page 1 of 1