GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

no fill on gas tank - Help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
scooting

no fill on gas tank - Help Empty
PostSubject: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2023 10:35 pm

Help! Someone has been thru this. Gas gauge showed about 1/8 full. Put gas filler in and it keeps clicking off. Will only fill about 1/2 gal at a time and dumps gas on ground after a while. Yes on long trips I would let the gas pump click on and off a few times to top off the tank. Assumed the canister might have gas in charcoal so pulled it out. Seems to be fine. 1. If I want to bypass the system couldn't I leave that line open to air and plug hose to injector? Removed hose that is from tank to overflow line on the gas inlet. It dripped some but quit and is open. Put air pressure from that open line back to tank - pressure went in and as soon as I quit pressure it puked a fair amount of gas back out that line. 2. Is that normal? 3. is there a one way valve in that line that could be giving me the problem? I have run the car with the gas cap off and it is no difference that with it on. I need to make a 3,000 mile trip what should I look for and how to fix? (93 Caprice Wagon all stock except exhaust.} Please help!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2023 11:01 pm

Always stop filling the tank when the pump kicks off. If you continue to fill it you will force fuel into the vapor canister, and it will cause engine problems, and not work properly. The only way to fix it is to empty the canister, or replace the canister. If your gauge sender does not work correctly, fix it.
Back to top Go down
scooting

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Always stop filling the tank when the pump kicks off. If you continue to fill it you will force fuel into the vapor canister, and it will cause engine problems, and not work properly. The only way to fix it is to empty the canister, or replace the canister. If your gauge sender does not work correctly, fix it.

Back to my problem, the canister is no longer made! The suggested repacement does not hook up the same. When I take off the line from canister to tank and have it open to air, that line should vent to air. My canister does not have any liquid in it and if it is not hooked in the line it is out of play and tank should vent. I also have put air pressure through that line going back to tank plus with the line out the top of the tank going to vent tube on fill line open and it will dump gas out that line. How can the canister be at fault? If I were to leave line from tank to canister open to air and plug line from canister to injector, that should take the emmission out of play and vent vapor to air like cars made prior to emmissions. Either way I can not get the tank to fill without clicking opp. Any more thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 4:37 pm

You will have to drop the tank to inspect it internally. The description indicates that the tank is full. You may have a sending unit issue.
Back to top Go down
scooting

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 5:09 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You will have to drop the tank to inspect it internally. The description indicates that the tank is full. You may have a sending unit issue.

I recall in my reading the three lines from the tank top toward the front of the car require special tools. Can you tell me what they are? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 6:29 pm

They are quick disconnect for the pressure and return, and you probably need a pliers for the vent. Give the pressure and return lines a twist, and press the white clips with your finger and thumb then twist and pull them off. Put a rag over the pressure line, so it does not spray fuel every where.
Back to top Go down
scooting

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 7:49 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
They are quick disconnect for the pressure and return, and you probably need a pliers for the vent. Give the pressure and return lines a twist, and press the white clips with your finger and thumb then twist and pull them off. Put a rag over the pressure line, so it does not spray fuel every where.

Thanks! I will let you know what I find.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2023 1:19 pm

voting on you sender is inaccurate or the arm to the float popped off.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2023 1:20 pm

If the tank is full when you go to lower. pull the gas line off and the fuel filter and jump the fuel pump under the hood (wire with female clip by wiper motor) and pump the tank out into cans. worked good for me more than once.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: no fill on gas tank - Help   no fill on gas tank - Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

no fill on gas tank - Help
Page 1 of 1