GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Securing a broken gas-fill

Go down 
+3
Olds Weighty Eight
brokecello
AzDon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

Securing a broken gas-fill Empty
PostSubject: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Not sure if anybody else has this problem, but I've had two of these wagons that BOTH had broken plastic that the top of the gas-fill pipe screws to....

Photobucket

This is what it looks like after installing a metal repair cup...

Photobucket

Here's some pics that pretty much show how I made an adapter cup out of a coffee can, which happens to be the exact size of the hole at the bottom of the funnel-shaped plastic surround inside the gas door...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I unscrewed the broken ring of plastic and used it to mark the screw holes... the center hole is only 2.25 inches, NOT the size of the original center hole....

Photobucket

Photobucket

I cut and drilled the holes and shortened the coffee can to only long enough to be inside the plastic structure when attached to the fill pipe... the original tupperware-style lid has a smaller center hole so that it will be a gasket between the new part and the fill pipe...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ready to install, top and bottom view...

Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Very ingenius fix and great way to fix a problem without spending a fortune.Now,just how hard are
you inserting the gas pump nozzle into your tank because thats the only thing that comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Slick fix!!! Ive never had that happen, but now Ill know how to resolve it when I do!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:17 am

Let's see. Last year I changed from coffee to green tea in plastic bottles so first I need to go buy a can of coffee so I'll have the raw material for the fix. Then I'll need to get a coffee maker and a bunch of filters in order to empty the can. After 100 cups of coffee I'm sure I'll be hyped up enough to easily break my filler neck but at least now I'll have the means to fix it. tongue

In all seriousness, it's a pretty ingenious fix you've developed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 1:46 am

Excellent write up, with pics! As far as how the plastic neck is breaking,
I can honestly say I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:30 am

Great write... This one should be made a sticky.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:01 am

sweet mines cracked 3 inches at bottem
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 11:44 am

Had to go look at both mine and they are just fine!I have never seen that kind of breakage
before.Maybe someone was trying to siphon your gas and broke the part trying to force a hose down into your tank.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Both of the wagons came to me with the broken plastic, so I haven't a clue how it happened... For locales where rust could be a problem, I'm sure that an appropriate diameter plastic pitcher, tumbler, bowl, etc. could be used instead.... Also, I didnt drill a drain hole, but it would probably be a good idea!
I forgot to mention the split 3/8 fuel hose is to protect that sharp edge, but also makes the cup fit tight in the funnel structure.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Actually, both wagons had replacement fuel pumps when I got them..... I think a couple of past "master mechanics" thought they could pull the fuel-pipe hoses from the tank without removing those screws. You'd only need to rock the fuel pipe slightly to break that plastic, if you left those screws in......If you tried to drop the tank with the pipe and those screws attached...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:03 pm

That sounds like a good explanation!Both my wagons are on their original fuel pumps I tthink!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Does it have to be a hazelnut coffee can, or is it OK to use decaf?

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:07 am

^^^ Where's the "like" button?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 3:35 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Does it have to be a hazelnut coffee can, or is it OK to use decaf?

What about dark roast?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Securing a broken gas-fill   Securing a broken gas-fill Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Securing a broken gas-fill
Page 1 of 1