GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quick question about 4L60E

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Roadblaster

Quick question about 4L60E Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Hey everyone, first time forum user here. My name is Nick and I am picking up my 1996 RMW next week. 1 owner old veteran couple, 92k on the clock.

My question is, if the transmission hasn't ever been serviced and I change the filter and fluid that comes out of the pan, will it adjust itself to the fresh fluid or is there a TCM relearn that should be done? I know older transmissions auto adjust for deteriorating fluid, not sure on this electric jobber. I figure a good first step is to change all the fluids so I have a maintenance baseline.

Thank you in advance

Nick

96 Buick Roadmaster wagon (Big Buck)
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 7:04 pm

Read this...

https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/should-you-flush-your-trans-fluid-if-it-hasnt-been-maintained.252894/

Nothing about the PCM (no TCM on this car), nor do I believe there are any adjustments for deteriorating fluid.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
The Roadblaster

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 7:16 pm

I asked the newbiest of questions...  clown

Thank you very much for that Smile

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
turborat

turborat

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:02 pm

You may also want to drain the TQ converter if the pan fluid is really dirty. I’ve had 4 vehicles with the 4L60E (3 “B” body LT1 wagons and an Envoy XUV V8) and they all failed between 100k and 120k miles. So, you may want to budget an R&R during the next few years.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2023 10:31 pm

Flush it using the cooler line method, and you'll clean out the torque converter and the cooler circuit as well. Check the fluid every 50 miles after that, and if there's a lot of clutch dust in the fluid, flush it again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about 4L60E   Quick question about 4L60E Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick question about 4L60E
Page 1 of 1