GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question about my 71...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Question about my 71... Empty
PostSubject: Question about my 71...   Question about my 71... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Dragged my 71 Pontiac out of storage today for the first time in four years. When I put it in, it had a seized left front brake caliper. I was hoping for sliders, but wasn't lucky. Once I got the caliper off, it was obvious that the piston boot was broken so the piston had frozen to the caliper body. Called the parts place, and they had both sides in stock for 26 bucks each.

Here's my question. The calipers came with two copper washers each. Does one washer go between the line and the bolt and another washer between the line and the caliper body? When I took it apart, there was only a washer between the line and the bolt. I did put it together with two, and there are no leaks and it bled perfectly (prefilled the caliper to make it go faster).

LMK your thoughts.
Jason.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Question about my 71...   Question about my 71... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Referred to as a "banjo" fitting and yes, it's supposed to have two washers. Actually a very good fitting. Wish they still used them. Better then trying to free up a rusted flare fitting "B" nut.

Bill
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Question about my 71...   Question about my 71... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Yes, I know it is a banjo fitting. I'm not that young! Smile

Good to hear it went together correctly, then. Last time I had the calipers off was to do pads, and that was probably ten years ago. I have never cracked the hydraulics for the front, though, so someone left out that bottom washer.

I didn't think I was going to get it apart. The hex was slipping in the fitting, and I was worried about rounding it out. So, I grabbed my electric impact that I had brought along for the wheel, and it came out instantly. I love power tools...

So... who wants to come by and help me build another three car garage? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about my 71...   Question about my 71... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about my 71...
Page 1 of 1