GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recurring hose cutting issue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sleeperwagon

Recurring hose cutting issue Empty
PostSubject: Recurring hose cutting issue   Recurring hose cutting issue Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 11:28 pm

Hoping for an elegant solution here- after installing headers, I had to SLIGHTLY bend one of the hardlines coming out of the compressor for clearance. The fit between the header and the upper control arm was pretty tight, but not touching either. However, not long after installation, the AC quit working, and I discovered that when the control arm moves, it rubs against the bottom of the hose and eventually cut through. I made a pipe splice, cut the hose and spliced it together, and zip tied it up away from½¹
the A-arm. Fast forward to the next summer, and the OTHER hose cut through from contact with the moving control arm. The hose assembly was NOT cheap ( I put a new one in when I rebuilt the motor), and I don't like the idea of multiple splices. So I need an elegant solution before I put in a new set of AC lines. Does anybody have any insight? The hoses are pretty rigid, so they keep migrating back in harms way. If I can't come up with a safe way to reroute the hoses I'm thinking of going to tubular control arms, which are not cheap. Thoughts? Pic shows where the lip on the stamped control arm is cutting the second hose, and my temporary fix on the first cut.

Recurring hose cutting issue 16889510
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Recurring hose cutting issue   Recurring hose cutting issue Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 4:07 am

You can have the hose spliced with a short piece of metal line. The metal hose can be bent, and will hold its shape.

Sleeperwagon likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Recurring hose cutting issue   Recurring hose cutting issue Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 am

I zip tied a piece of heater hose over the AC line where it runs past the control arm...

Fred Kiehl and Sleeperwagon like this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Recurring hose cutting issue   Recurring hose cutting issue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 10:51 am

Find an auto air conditioning shop they should be able to fabricate a set for you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recurring hose cutting issue   Recurring hose cutting issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recurring hose cutting issue
Page 1 of 1