GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon Empty
PostSubject: Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon   Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 3:08 pm

i recall the guy i bought it from mentioning something about a drain - had put a new battery in it recently. That one lasted maybe a year. I later installed a wireless backup cam wired into the always hot rear jump lights. Most of the time i would just disconnect the neg battery lead when not driving the car for more than a few days.
2/23 got a new battery and the other week i had done several very short >3mie drives with no issues on starting right up. was planning a long drive so didn't bother to disconnect battery. day before trip battery was totally dead. 6v 2CCA - yup. two amps.
so replaced the battery the other day and decided to start looking for the drain.
Pulled all fuses and these are the ones currently always pulling some volts (key not in ignition)

Fuse #1 (dome) 7v - - figure this is the backup camera drain
#2 cluster 3v
#3 air/lp 10v
#4 L/lvl (no fuse present, air ride pump may still be in place, but i'm not running air shocks on back)
#7 air/lp 7v
#21 circuit breaker (power seats/windows) 11v

So that's as far as I got. electrical crap isn't my forte and not sure where to go from here. Thought of going extreme and installing a battery kill switch, but that's a lot of work and a few 100 in parts. Would rather fix the problem properly even if a battery kill switch would make an effective anti theft device.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon   Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 9:20 pm

You may have a bad ground, and the circuits are finding a ground through alternate pathways.
You need to check current, not voltage in each circuit.
Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon   Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 11:58 pm

Mine did that after sitting a couple of weeks and it was the level control compressor. It periodically goes off even with new air shocks and lines, not much but enough to drain the battery. I installed a battery cut-off switch (they're only ten bucks), and turn the car off when it's sitting in the garage. I also plug in the battery tender at the same time, can't hurt. No problems since. I had another car and the juice to maintain the radio presets would drain the battery over time. Bettter to shut down the car when it sits anyway, old wiring is not to be trusted, especially with the car in an attached garage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon   Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parasitic Battery Drain 93 wagon
Page 1 of 1