GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Empty
PostSubject: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 6:05 pm

i thought i'd done this before but i don't remember. got pulled over by a bored cop a few weeks ago - to tell me my lic plate lights were out.
shop manual just says to remove screws from covers, which i did. What's the trick to coax them out? it seems like they have tabs that recess into the handle and yet something else also seems to hang them up and i really don't want to break them.
Surely you don't have to go through the inside of the tailgate and take the panel off etc...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 10:25 pm

It takes a lot of wiggling to get them out from the outside, but the chance of breaking them is high. They are extremely brittle. It is safer to take them out from the inside. There are a few nuts that hold the trim to the gate. I suggest that you replace them with LEDs.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 10:30 pm

i could tell mine are a bit dull and sunbaked - how does that even happen with them upsidedown? lol
i'll go ahead and do it the hard but safer way. I was planning on using leds too as i have a few on hand
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 7:48 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I suggest that you replace them with LEDs.
If you have suggestions about the specific LEDs, I am all ears. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 7:56 pm

Just match the bulb type. You need 12 volt bulbs.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
billmorrow

PostSubject: LED headlight 'bulbs'   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2024 4:35 am

a bit of thread drift here..
got a set of SANHE 9004 HB1 LED Headlight Bulbs, 40000LM 6500K Pure White, 140W LED Headlight Bulb,High & Low Beam,24 CSP Chips, Halogen Replacement Easy Plug-N-Play Installation, Pack of 2… from who else, Amazon..
installed on Skippy (95 roadmaster wagon)..
VERY BRIGHT, not so much plug and play since the plastic retaining ring needed a little bit of work to fit over the 'bulb' assembly due to the wires coming out the bottom, a hand drill and a dremel bit did the job, neat..
road test will be tuesday and wednesday, if successful I'll get another 3 sets for the other boats in my fleet.. :-)
now to gather some turn signal LED bulbs front, rear and 3rd brake light..
and comments from others with some wisdom to impart, please do..
in the works of the legendary Fraser Crand "I'm listening" :-)

Last edited by billmorrow on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.thinkpads.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2024 9:14 am

The turn signal bulbs will not work unless you replace the blinker relay with an electronic one. The original relay uses the resistance of the bulbs to activate it. The LED bulbs do not have enough resistance to activate the relay. Emergency flashers... same deal. Brake, corner illumination, and non blinking marker lights will work fine.
Back to top Go down
billmorrow

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2024 11:11 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The turn signal bulbs will not work unless you replace the blinker relay with an electronic one. The original relay uses the resistance of the bulbs to activate it. The LED bulbs do not have enough resistance to activate the relay. Emergency flashers... same deal. Brake, corner illumination, and non blinking marker lights will work fine.
thank you Fred, for the hint re. the blinker relay..
may not be worth the effort to change over to brighter LED bulbs..
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.thinkpads.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?   how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how do you replace the license plate bulbs on the wagon tailgate?
Page 1 of 1