GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

License Plate Dilemna

Go down 
+5
95BRMW
buickestate
DBeaSSt
Grumpy
ChevyChugg
9 posters

Which Ugly License Plate should I get come January?
Blue and Red Collector Plates
License Plate Dilemna Vote_lcap50%License Plate Dilemna Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Green and Yellow Hobbyist Plates
License Plate Dilemna Vote_lcap50%License Plate Dilemna Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
ChevyChugg

License Plate Dilemna Empty
PostSubject: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:04 pm

So, here is my question. On December 31, my 91 Caprice will be twenty model years old, and will be eligible for either Collector or Hobbyist License Plates. The plates are non-expiring, so will save me a decent amount of money in the long run.

The choice is this: The collector license plate is intended for stock vehicles. Mine is somewhat stock, with a few mods. Here is a picture of it:
License Plate Dilemna Wi-collector

The Hobbyist plate is for modded vehicles, but it's primary selling point is that, there are no exhaust rules for vehicles with Hobbyist plates...as loud as you want. The downside: Well, look at it. If you're not a Packers fan, then it is rather visually unappealing.

License Plate Dilemna Hob107
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry but those "hobby" plates are way to ugly to put on a car !!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 pm

But he can make his own loud (custom) exhaust! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Go with the hobbyist plates, but see if you can get the letter and numbers that Bewbz made famous in Michigan....
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm

The hobbyist one might be worth it to loose the cats.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 pm

This is one of the reasons why I wish I had a 91, next year I could get a CT "Early American Vehicle" plate if I owned a 91.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 pm

I wish they had something like that in VA. We have to wait until Antique to get special tags.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:16 pm

It'll be 2021 before I can get any special tags........

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Hobbyist plate for sure.

And does ANYONE notice a bad state plate color scheme? Who cares what it looks like? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't think 'hobbyist' fully describes your affliction, but it's the closest thing they have so get one of those and a set of headers and glass packs Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 am

Hobbyist indeed.

And pfft, special plates for mods. Come to Florida, we can pretty much do it all. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:31 am

Stingroo wrote:
Hobbyist indeed.

And pfft, special plates for mods. Come to Florida, we can pretty much do it all. Very Happy

...But can you pay $200 for the plates and never renew it again? Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 am

In pa we have Classic and Antique tags. I think it has to be 15 years old for classic and there is not supposed to be any modifications to the car (they did not look under the hood of the Impala).

DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES

Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this
definition, which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle.

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES

The use of Antique and Classic registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and
similar uses is defined as one day a week. Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique and Classic registration plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo.

This all saves you the annual registration and you only need a safety inspection.
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:27 am

The only rules for Collector and/or Hobbyist Plates are that you must have another vehicle registered, and you cannot drive the collector/hobbyist plated vehicle in January. That's it. If for some reason I NEEDED to drive it in January, there's always the good old screwdriver plate transfer Smile We have no inspection for any vehicles, so no need to worry about that.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 pm

I live in the wrong state...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, sadly, no I can't register and never pay again.

But I never deal with winter, so that's worth its weight in gold. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Well, sadly, no I can't register and never pay again.

But I never deal with winter, so that's worth its weight in gold. Very Happy

+10000
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:03 pm

So yeah, take that! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: License Plate Dilemna   License Plate Dilemna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

License Plate Dilemna
Page 1 of 1