GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wheel and tire help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Isurf

Isurf

Wheel and tire help Empty
PostSubject: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2024 4:21 pm

Mrs. is after me to get a set of chrome wheels. I don't want chrome, I'm looking at some 17x8 cast rallys with 4.5" backspace. I really want an easy bolt on without rubs or other clearance issues.

Comments, suggestions are welcome.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-55-7806gmml0#overview

1) how well will they fit?
2) will a spare fit in the well?
3) what size tire will come close to the original 15 inch tire diameter?

Thanks!
Happy New Year
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Isurf wrote:
Mrs. is after me to get a set of chrome wheels. I don't want chrome, I'm looking at some 17x8 cast rallys with 4.5" backspace. I really want an easy bolt on without rubs or other clearance issues.

Comments, suggestions are welcome.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-55-7806gmml0#overview

1) how well will they fit?
2) will a spare fit in the well?
3) what size tire will come close to the original 15 inch tire diameter?

Thanks!
Happy New Year

I have those wheels only in 17X7.5 because I wanted to use the 235-60-17 tires which came in more choices of tire.  I got the low metal centers for them which are like the older Corvette centers. That combo is nearly exactly the original 225-75-16 diameter.

They are nice wheels, good quality, fit well, run true. Nothing bad to say about them at all.  The low caps are plated steel and snap in tight so don't fall off like the bigger tall, plastic ones.

I tried to host pix but it is totally different than the last time I did it and it now doesn't seem to work, or I have no clue how to do it.

Wheel and tire help Empty\

Isurf and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2024 6:09 pm

The OEM tires are 28 inches in diameter. You can use up to 235 wide tires if they are 29 inches in diameter without issues. I run 255-50-17, and they are 27 inches in diameter.

You can go at least as wide as 8 inches as long as you stay with the stock offset (+6 mm or 1/4 inch) and spindle. I have 2 inch drop spindles, so I use a half inch more offset (+18) and the rims are within 1/16 inch of the tierod ends. The drop spindles push the wheels out 1/2 inch, and the added offset puts the wheel back in its original position under the wheelhouse.

Isurf likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2024 7:22 pm

I had the pix in another thread so copied the links

Wheel and tire help New_bu28

Wheel and tire help New_bu29

Isurf and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 pm

Picks are nice, but what are we supposed to determine from them?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 5:05 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

Clearance of some of the rub areas, wheelwell fill, stance, what they look like on a actual car, appearance with the lower center caps?

Isurf likes this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 2:39 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

I can show Mrs. pics for approval. My car is not lowered, may consider that in the future. If I do, it will probably just be a set of springs.I plan to restore the self leveling with air shocks at some point. That should cover lowering the rear.

Thanks for the help. No decision this week, research first. Next step is looking at available tires. 17's because rear disk would be nice and I have a kit in mind.

Web site states 0 offset. Is that a problem?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by Isurf on Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 2:51 pm

The air shocks will not lower the rear without shorter springs. They only raise the rear when a heavy load is placed in the car.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 3:28 pm

I guess that will be a concern in the future. Thanks for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Isurf wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

I can show Mrs. pics for approval. My car is not lowered, may consider that in the future. If I do, it will probably just be a set of springs.I plan to restore the self leveling with air shocks at some point. That should cover lowering the rear.

Thanks for the help. No decision this week, research first. Next step is looking at available tires. 17's because rear disk would be nice and I have a kit in mind.

Web site states 0 offset. Is that a problem?

Thanks, Tom

Can't say for wider, but for the 235s no problem. I have had them on for about 4 years without issue.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
swell ride charlie

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 3:32 am

I am running the Vision Rally in 5x5. Look great. One wheel was not round and threw its tall cap. Vision replaced it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel and tire help   Wheel and tire help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel and tire help
Page 1 of 1