GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front suspension knock.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Strumph

Front suspension knock. Empty
PostSubject: Front suspension knock.   Front suspension knock. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 pm

Hello to you guys.
Just looking for help locating a front drivers side knock on my 96 Roadmaster wagon. When I go around a left hand bend or long curve , particularly at speed I used to get a single knock. Took it to my friend's garage, put it on the ramp and could find nothing with load on or off the wheel so we decided to leave it to get worse in order to find it. This past Friday was the third time of looking now that we have a knock, knock, knock each time going round a left hand bend. This obviously happens when the weight is coming off the drivers side wheel and it sounds like it's up high. 3 lifelong mechanics and myself just can't find any movement at all. Vehicle only has 71,000 miles on it and everything else is fine. I just wondered whether anyone else had experienced a similar problem. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension knock.   Front suspension knock. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 7:48 pm

I had a similar one that I had trouble finding in my 96 RMW.

It turned out to be that a shim had fallen out of the frame to upper A arm mount that sets the wheel alignment. It would move in and out as the load changed from bump to extension.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Strumph

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension knock.   Front suspension knock. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 8:08 pm

Ok booster, thank you . I will have a look at that.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension knock.   Front suspension knock. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm

ahh.. mine started doing that after a total front end rebuild and alignment - but mine only does it when turning the wheel all the way - forget if it only does it left or right or both, a single clunk like something is binding or rubbing. Can actually feel it subtly. will be looking at those shims a bit closer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension knock.   Front suspension knock. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front suspension knock.
Page 1 of 1