GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stuck on Heat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2024 12:19 pm

I had just changed battery bolts so the battery was disconnected. When I started it up again I noticed my HVAC was stuck on heat. Not good in Arizona. I believe the compressor and all on the AC seem to be working, just can't get the climate control t work. Fuses ok. Fan ok. Any ideas on the culprit would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 12:48 pm

Disconnect the battery and try again. If it is the head unit, I have a couple of them for sale.
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 2:56 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Disconnect the battery and try again. If it is the head unit, I have a couple of them for sale.

I did try the reset procedure, it didn't help. It's going to my mechanic this week. If it's a discontinued part(s) I will contact you . I'll know on Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 4:10 pm

All parts are discontinued.

zonaman likes this post

Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2024 7:19 pm

In that case, stay tuned.  I'll need something if my mechanic can't round them up
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 7:58 pm

Actuator door. Pretty easy- dodged a bullet this time.
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2024 3:10 pm

Climate control has returned!  I dissected my old actuator and saw the big nylon gear at the bottom was cracked in several places.  I'm guessing that was out of round enough to jam the door.  I also noticed that there are rebuild kits for these.  May I presume that this is a common problem?  Is it worth it to rebuild them?

Stuck on Heat Vent_a12
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2024 8:33 pm

Depends on the cost vs another one.
Back to top Go down
zonaman

zonaman

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 9:19 am

About $13.00 for the gear. I noticed the actuator itself ranges from about $15.00 to over $100.00. Get what you pay for on this?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 9:58 am

If you can do the repair yourself, I would go with the gear.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2024 7:48 am

Before actuators the heat/ac door was controlled by a steel cable in an armored winding. Then came vacuum actuators which were bullet proof but the vacuum lines could leak. These newer electronic ones use the plastic gear that is engineered to break. My wife's 2011 Equinox has gone through 3. Luckily, it can be reached from the glove box but other vehicles, say BMW, require dashboard dismantling, a job beyond most shade tree mechanics. My advice is to go from heat to cold slowly, like 2 clicks at a time and the gear will last longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stuck on Heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck on Heat   Stuck on Heat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stuck on Heat
Page 1 of 1