GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn blows all the time.

Go down 
+2
Cadet57
64vette
6 posters
AuthorMessage
64vette

Horn blows all the time. Empty
PostSubject: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm

My 95 RMW horn has always been very sensitive, you can barely touch it and it blows. Well, about a month ago I blew the horn and it has been blowing ever since. I had to pull the fuse. It was a very hot day and I thought that when it cooled off it would be okay. No such luck. Now it is time for state inspection and I am faced with either buying a replacement airbag/horn button combo or putting in an external button. Has anyone run into this? Maybe there is a simple fix. Does anyone have a medium blue airbag/horn button combo for sale? Let me know.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Maybe the relay went? I've never heard of the actual horn/airbag doing that.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm

I had the same problem. I replaced the whole assembly with the airbag. If you are handy, you can just replace the airbag cover which contains the horn button. It's a membrane switch and sometimes it just goes bad.
Back to top Go down
shenny

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Does it work like a Caprice? I'm not sure about a RMW. If so, look at the thread about replacing the switchs in the Caprice horn. It works better than GM's does.

Shenny

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 pm

I had the same thing happen on my 95. I ended up replacing the bag. I was gonna take it apart and see what I can do about the contacts, but I don't like the idea of dismantling a bomb Shocked

I just looked at my old bag, and I see there are 2 connectors for the horn. I didn't think to try this at the time, but couldn't you just unplug the one that is stuck on?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

shenny wrote:
Does it work like a Caprice? I'm not sure about a RMW. If so, look at the thread about replacing the switchs in the Caprice horn. It works better than GM's does.

Shenny

They are different. The switches are inside the bag itself on the RMW, the caprice has 2 separate buttons mounted in the wheel itself that the airbag pushes against (much better design).
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Quote :
..."has always been very sensitive, you can barely touch it and it blows"...

I had a girlfreind like that once,.

Nick.
Back to top Go down
64vette

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:45 am

Well, I am going to have to install a separate horn button. Does anyone know the color of the horn wire in the connector on the bottom of the steering column? confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horn blows all the time.   Horn blows all the time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn blows all the time.
Page 1 of 1