GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

QUALITY GM PAINT!

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
louriv
81X11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I blew the white paint off the top of my passenger side front fender on the 96 Roadmaster wagon at the self-service car wash yesterday. Was blasting it hard trying to get off some sap and a big patch BLEW off. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless...I stood there with my mouth open for at least 30-seconds.

SO went by my local paint guy at lunch and made the appointment for this Wednesday. Going to cost me $150 to sand it smooth and re-shoot it and clear it.

Never a dull moment!

On a side note I fixed my wife's Suburban myself. Proud of it, you'd never know it had been hit. Bumper, grill, and turn signal replaced. All used stuff but looks fine.

They say things happen in three's....hope not.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
louriv

louriv

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I've taken a few emblems and trim pieces off in my day. a few were customer's cars (great feeling!). But s**t happens.

No pics of your 'burban?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HippodromeGourmetCandles.com
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Will upload soon. Was dark when I got done. Need some in the light!
Back to top Go down

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Was the Carwash Empty????   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 pm

The reason I ask Mike is that our local self carwash always has way more water pressure when you were alone.We
always waited until the place was empty before we washed our muddy 4WD after playing in the woods.
I bet that your fender may have been repainted at some time in the past.Mike with all your expierience with painted
surfaces dont you fix it yourself?You will probably be happier with the work anyhow because of the satisfaction
you get from doing it yourself.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm a great parts-swapper and an ok trim painter. I've painted black window trim and the brown trim around the wood...I can do that all day.

This is the clear-coated white paint right on the top of the fender between the wood and the hood itself. If I did it, it would either be the wrong color or would have runs or orange peel, and would bother me every time I looked at it.

A man's got to know his limitations! ; )

I want it to look as close to perfect as possible. This place did the Ram Air hood on my Firebird and the black hood on my S-10. They do awesome work. It's worth letting them do it.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 pm

81X11 wrote:
They say things happen in three's....hope not.

-Mike

As often as you have been phuked lately, I'd look into getting one of these:

QUALITY GM PAINT! Pancy%20test%20500k
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Hahahahaha! NO.

And my wife and oldest son went to the state fair in Dallas over the weekend. I kept the almost-2yr-old here. I'm beat today and can't wait to see my wife tonight. Kid wore me out.

If another kid shows up I'm running for the hills. ; )
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 am

'96 GM white paint is known to be lousy.

Besides, what the heck were you doing trying to blast tree sap off? Get the right solvent and it'll come right off.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 am

I took it to my parents house and parked it under a tree....and it rained. All the tree crap got all over it so I pulled into the car wash on the way home.

Such fun!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Mike,

Did the SAME exact thing to my bumper cleaning it the morning of WF. I went to the car wash next to the hotel, was hosing the 400 mile road grime off and BAM nice paint chip right dead center on the top of the bumper. Of corse, no parts stores were open to grab a rattle can or touch up pen so I took it into fest like that. Thankfully, this year the car is getting resprayed.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 am

Dropping the Roadmaster off at lunch today to have the front fender re-shot. Supposed to be done by Friday. Will be in the 88 Cutlass the next two days. Feel kinda funny strapping the baby-seat in my T-top. ; )

Will post pics when I get the car back. Hope it comes out well. I'm scared the color won't match!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 am

White is an easy color to match. They didn't even do any blending (my request) on the Caprice and you can't really tell a color difference between the front and back doors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Good deal. Will be done Friday. Looking forward to it. ; )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Picked the car up at lunch, and my body guy did a great job! Please excuse the pics, I took these with my phone and not my good camera, and the sun was really glaring, but you get the idea.

Wish I'd taken "before" pics, but it made me sick when I blew the paint off the fender. I didn't even want to look at it.

Enjoy the pics! I love this beast!

-Mike

QUALITY GM PAINT! AFriday015

QUALITY GM PAINT! AFriday013

QUALITY GM PAINT! AFriday010

QUALITY GM PAINT! AFriday009
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm

think you should go wash it again....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Planning to after work. It's dusty from the body shop. I can't tolerate that.

; )
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 6:31 pm

So they just painted the fender? Any blending? Pictures never tell the whole story but it looks like it came out great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Looks Great   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Turned out great Nick,still cant believe how clean your cars are.Looks like that gold RMW is gone but maybe thats best right now.Still having
more health problems and cant seem to get control of all these new allergies that I am suddenly stuck with.Gotta carry a EPPEE pen now just
for mosquitos and something I call sundown nats.When it gets cold here and the bugs go away I will be able to work on my wagon.
Waiting for my clear headlights with REFRACTORS to get here maybe tomorrow.I am going to take pics of car with one side original and the
other clear to show the diff I hope.Gonna keep the Ultrastars instead of HIDS because of the heat.Keep up the great work.
Jim Gordon
PS Hey Impala Kid how are those clear headlights doing now,any problems?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 1:07 am

Yes they just painted the fender. No blending, but a very good color match and it's smooth and looks good. My car is far from perfect, it's my daily driver, but I try to keep it as nice as possible.

I'm planning to go to the Cedar Park car show tomorrow night with the car. Will try to get pics there and post in the car show section. Think my Dad may follow in my Cutlass. Will be neat to have both the toys there. Such fun! : )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 am

Jim sorry to hear you missed the gold car. I'm always looking and will post any others I find.

I hear you about the the allergies. We get them bad in the spring here. Hope you start feeling better soon!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 am

FYI, Rustoleum gloss white is a pretty good match. Wink At least for the Marshmallow, it was! Very Happy

Car looks good! Damn that cheap factory primer!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

QUALITY GM PAINT! Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUALITY GM PAINT!   QUALITY GM PAINT! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUALITY GM PAINT!
Page 1 of 1