GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
windssurfer

paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Empty
PostSubject: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:23 pm

My roof rack and all the components are off the car ready to be painted.  Has anyone had experience painting these?  The original color is black and I will probably paint it black semi gloss.  Not sure which paint will be the most durable.  Any and all opinions, experience and BS is welcome. lol!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm interested to see how this goes for you.

I got one rail done yesterday with Meguire's Ultimate Black, and it did a great job in bringing back the "shine" on the roof rack. Once my father gets home with my car, I'll do the other and take a few pics of the before/after, if you like.

(I had the same thought on painting, but went this route due to having to get paint from BAPS on my next trip up to Tim's for my interior and replacement grill)
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 6:41 pm

I just had my roof, and all the rack components (except for the removeable bars) re painted in white, which is the color of the car. It really looks nice, the rub strips, side pieces, everything one color. The shop said they just cleaned and prepped and painted the parts like other metal parts. They did not spray the screw heads, and the wiper arm and blade is the only thing left black. I think it is a huge improvement, especially since all the black stuff had faded so badly on my car. I always thought the racks looked busy, and having it all one color helps it all blend together. The vista roof rubber trim, and the windshield rubber trim are still black, which gives, in my eves, just the right amount of contrast.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 pm

It didn't look too bad when finished. Though I do like the idea of having a matching rack to the paint - but that may be too much burgundy, lol.

Here is what the Meguire's did (a comparison pic)
paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed IMG_20140920_165030906
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Before I painted mine, through here I learned that the earlier Roadmaster wagons (pre 94 I think) had the side roof trim painted whatever color the body of the car was from the factory. The rub strips were always black. Mine is a 96, and all the rack equipment was a matte black from the factory, which faded badly since my car was from the south. The shop assured me that the paint they applied would stay on the rubber and metal parts since they properly prepped it. I have quite a bit of experience with auto paint, and I am sure that it will be fine for many years to come.
Back to top Go down
windssurfer

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Before I painted mine, through here I learned that the earlier Roadmaster wagons (pre 94 I think) had the side roof trim painted whatever color the body of the car was from the factory. The rub strips were always black. Mine is a 96, and all the rack equipment was a matte black from the factory, which faded badly since my car was from the south. The shop assured me that the paint they applied would stay on the rubber and metal parts since they properly prepped it. I have quite a bit of experience with auto paint, and I am sure that it will be fine for many years to come.

Any idea what type of primer and paint was used?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:40 am

The shop uses all PPG products. The key to any paint job is prep. Even the very best products won't stick if you don't prep the surface properly. If you don't want to paint the parts yourself, you could save some money taking the car apart, and then take the parts to a body shop to have them sprayed. Obviously it will cost more than doing it yourself with spray cans, but it will last longer, and probably look better. My whole setup (all roof stuff one color) looks so much better.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
My whole setup (all roof stuff one color) looks so much better.

pictures,.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed   paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

paint roof rack components - Plati-dip or Krylon plastic paint - opinions needed
Page 1 of 1