GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

removing antenna help

Go down 
+2
DBeaSSt
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

removing antenna help Empty
PostSubject: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 am

So my power antenna is stuck up. Which I never really considered a problem until winter came. I really wanna take the car thru a tunnel wash to keep all the crap off of it so I'm gonna replace the antenna with another I picked up. What's involved in removing the fender to get the old antenna out and the new one installed? Does it take long? Doable outside? I can't find my fsm at the moment, hence the thread.

Thanks
Justin
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 am

No need to remove the fender.

From memory.....

Open RF door and remove the single bolt, holding antenna to the back portion of the fender.
Unplug wire and antenna lead from under hood
Remove RF tire (not required but gives you more room to work)
Remove the bolts, holding the inner fender well to the fender and body (several bolts along wheel edge and a coupe in the back which bolt to the body)
Lower fender well and remove the screw assembly holding the top of the antenna to the fender
Carefully lower the antenna out through the lowered fender well opening

Install is reverse.

Not super hard but takes some time to get everything apart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 am

battery may need to come out for access to bolts by/under the tray.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 am

rh96ss wrote:
battery may need to come out for access to bolts by/under the tray.

Good point. I've not had to do that on mine though. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

"It's easy" said the guy from VA with rust free cars... Wink
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:23 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

What does "rust free" mean? Do cars actually not have rust in some states? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

What does "rust free" mean? Do cars actually not have rust in some states? Laughing

It means that the car has lived a pampered life. Here in FL we have a lot of rust free parts. Not everything though. Some of the cars in the junk yards here are actually northern cars with the accompaning rot. I have seen some nice parts get crushed, because nobody is willing to pay for shipping. I try to rescue what I can, but I do not have a lot of storage space.

If you need nice rust free parts we (I refer to FL owners) can often find them. I have a nice DS wheelhouse with just a little battery acid rust. I am selective, and only pull parts I would use on my own car. I am headed to the JY on Saturday, so if you have any requests let me know.

When you are going to remove the antenna, let it power down, and if you have to help it to the lower position, or you will have to break the mast to get it out. If your mast is still good, I can fix the antenna. I may have one available for $65 in exhange for your mast and pigtail. So, do not break the mast. If you are going to remove the antenna permanently, I would like to have your mast. I will pay $5 for it and the pigtail and send you a FEDEX account number for shipping.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: removing antenna help   removing antenna help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

removing antenna help
Page 1 of 1