GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

idle question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vamp8267

idle question Empty
PostSubject: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, here is the start of a million and one questions regarding my wagon.
It's a 1992 roadmaster estate with the 350.
Anyways, my idle is (I feel) to high.
In park it idles anywhere from 500 to 1200 rpm's and in drive from a dead stop I can easily idle at around 25 MPH within a block.
Which brings ? #2.
My idle surges almost constantly. Any thoughts?
Oh yah.... My mileage is around 128,000 and I don't have any other problems with the engine other than the rpm's fluctuating.
My throttle response is BEAUTIFUL and I have no issues with car being sluggish or slow/hesitant when I get on the highway or go into passing gear to get past someone etc.
As a matter of fact this afternoon I left the grocery store, put my foot a little to deep into it and got sideways leaving the parking lot (thank god there weren't any cops around to see that!!)
Thanks again.
Oh yah, I also found the original window sticker from the dealership (that's something cool!) in my spare tire well.
I'll post a pic of it also when I get a chance to take some pics. (gotta wash her first!!)

scratch vamp
Back to top Go down

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:31 am

I would take a look at the the vacuum lines, they are thin plastic with rubber ends. Carefully take a look at the rubber end parts, don't flex them too much or they will shatter. Every time I break one while doing something else under the hood I start cussing the engineer who devised them. If you do break one they can be fixed with a small section of rubber vacuum hose, and replacement ends are still available. If I remember right, the idle is supposed to be 1000RPM in park, I am nowhere near my car or my factory service manual so don't quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

idle question Empty
PostSubject: You gotta be joking   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 am

Well, I guess the powers that be can close this one.
I finally got time to start snooping around and was able to pull my OBD codes.
The only one that I got was the 32 EGR code
Started snooping around under the hood, starting with the vacuum lines visually and they looked alright so I pulled the front of the intake off to check the actual EGR butterfly condition and the air filter and discovered that the hose that sends heat from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve was missing.
Went to auto parts store bought a generic replacement, put about 30 miles on it and the surging stopped completely.
Came home and unplugged the battery for 10 minutes to reset 'puter and will re-check OBD after I put a few miles on it in the morning.. Car is running much better now though. And it was something as stupid as that hose.
Will edit this post in the morning if it's still throwing codes.

Twisted Evil vamp
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

idle question Empty
PostSubject: isn't this a switch   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Well, almost 100 miles later, just checked for any codes and NOTHING. I think this is the FIRST time in my life that I had an issue that was auto related and didn't end up paying out the nose to repair.
Well, to anyone that may read this post, if you are having a pulsing idle issue like I was, make sure that stupid hose that goes to the EGR (on the underside of the intake) to the exhaust manifold is there. If not then it'll never open and you'll get that 32 code and gas mileage that sucks.

Twisted Evil vamp
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:54 am

Feels good to not have to pay someone, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Woodse

Woodse

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Mine is doing the same thing- '93 wagon. I let off the gas and the tach drops to 1k then jumps to 1500, up and down. The idle is about 1200. Didn't do this when it was warm out. I did remove the warm air tube from the manifold to the air intake.
Back to top Go down

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Congratulations Vamp on your successful repair.Feels great doesnt it?
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Confused.... pics? Sounds like you guys are talking about the thermatic air valve in the air filter intake ducting, not the EGR. scratch
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Woodse wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing- '93 wagon. I let off the gas and the tach drops to 1k then jumps to 1500, up and down. The idle is about 1200. Didn't do this when it was warm out. I did remove the warm air tube from the manifold to the air intake.

Mine did that when the hose in the tank between the pump and the outlet line was cracked. You have to drop the tank to find out. If that is your problem, change the fuel pump while you are in there. Use an AC Delco. I did not change the pump when I fixed the hose, and had to put a pump in about a month later. I did not use an AC Delco pump, and had to do it again about a month later.
Back to top Go down
Woodse

Woodse

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Mine is the air intake off of the drivers side exhaust manifold to the air intake. Put the hose back on today and she runs like a dream!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

idle question Empty
PostSubject: Re: idle question   idle question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

idle question
Page 1 of 1