GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buried in the South....

Go down 
+10
Nick Danger
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
Cadet57
81X11
jeffracer
toomanytoyz
94X2
DBeaSSt
brokecello
14 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

Buried in the South.... Empty
PostSubject: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Ok...this is a lot for SC. I know you Northern guys are laughing. The whole state of SC is literally shut down!!! Might be for a couple of days too!!

I had a set of snowtires (for the rear) and stuck 'em on last night hoping to have some fun since I have a posi.

Then I learned that you really need 4 snowtires....and then we have 8in of snow now. Lol Here is a shot from early this morning. Still coming down!

Anyone else getting snow??

Buried in the South.... BabyBlueSnow

Here are my rear snows...one for each side...

Buried in the South.... IMG_1640

Last edited by brokecello on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Supposed to get a couple inches tonight/tomorrow here. Just enough to make the cars all dirty... ugh.

Be safe down there and I wouldn't drive a wagon anywhere for a while. Might get hit by a southerner "trying" to drive in snow. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Supposed to start here any time. Hopefully it won't be too bad since I have to run my route. I think our concern is more ice than snow.

Jon
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

You actually only need two snows. You steer with the rear of the car, not the front. Wink

Enjoy it while it lasts! It's a lot of fun!!!!!

Supposed to hit us tomorrow night. Gonna get a foot or so here. I really hope so. Hasn't really snowed yet! Only got one 8" storm and a dusting so far.... Nothin.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Well...I'm not going anywhere today....but I might try tomorrow though Smile Steer with the rear eh? You need to make a vid of how its done! cheers
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm

You need to thank Fred and a certain NY salvage yard for those snows. Very Happy Cool that they're actually getting used for their intent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I cant believe you guys didnt go out as kids and play in the empty parking lots when it snowed.I worked as a bag boy
in HS and we would slide and drift for hours after work.I am sure the laws wont let you get away with it today but this
was the early 70s.We even had the local deputies pull up and start being asses.I knew all the cops unfortunatly and
told them we were becoming better drivers and it was private property.The cops left and then we all heard those 440
dodges open up.Here comes one of the deputys backwards across the lot at about 60 mph but only moving about
20 mph.That cop showed up at our lot every time it snowed after that and practiced controlled drifts and 180s and
basically all of the moves needed to drive on snow and ice.
I have used that expierience every time it snows.
Chris just remember when the RWD wont go forward,they almost always will back up so just drive backwards thru the deep stuff and up difficult hills.Only been stuck once and that was in my driveway with my 70 Cyclone GT with a
429 Cobra Jet and 4.30 detroit locker gear.
Have Fun and Go Backwards
Jim Gordon
PS I have never owned a set of snow tires for my cars but had aggressive tires on my trucks.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:11 pm

brokecello wrote:

Well...I'm not going anywhere today....but I might try tomorrow though Smile Steer with the rear eh? You need to make a vid of how its done! cheers

Like Doc Hudson said to Lightning McQueen "Sometimes you gotta turn right to go left"
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 am

That storm touched Dallas on Sunday. Look at all this snow! My sister-in-law took this pic Sunday afternoon in Big D. The snow stopped soon after the pic but schools were delayed on Monday for safety. ; )

Buried in the South.... 54
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 am

DELAYED? WTF? You Texans are wimps. Thats not even enough to shovel.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 am

Hey we'll take any excuse for a snow day!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

When I was stationed in Fort Hood, TX back in '93-95, we had 1/4" of snow and ice and in the 6 mile stretch from my house to work, there were 44 cars in the ditch.

When you have never seen snow before, it is hard to understand that when you turn the wheel at high speeds, nothing will happen. Most started to "slip" and panicked.... hit the brakes then slid into the ditch. It was comical to watch.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 am

After 400 miles in snow and ice last night. Typical NC storm. Literally 2 out of 3 cars that passed me on I-40 were in the median down the road. I watched one van lose it about 3/4 mile in front of me after he blew past. When I got to him he was spinning the front wheels like crazy trying to get out...2 hours later when I went back the other direction the wrecker was just getting there. Twisted Evil

Buried in the South.... 001

Buried in the South.... 002-1

Jon

I should point out that we got hardly anything here but other parts of the state that I had had to go through got it worse. I-40 towards the coast was a mess. They got quite a bit of snow and then ice.

Last edited by 94X2 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 am

We got 6" on sunday. My wife needed a few things at the grocerry store so my oldest son and I hopped in the wagon and went out 'for a ride.' Mommy has a strict "no-fishtailing" policy while she's in the car and my son knows it, so he was pretty excited to go out without mom and have some fun. In case you're wondering, he's 4.

So we zigzagged our way all the way to the grocery store, got what we needed, flew around the parking lot in circles and figure 8s, then worked our way home. There's a huge medical center office park on the way home with many parking lots, so we went in there and were drifting all over the place. My son asked if he could stand outside and watch the tires spray the snow, so I dropped him off and decided to do a grand finale. Except that as I was coming around the final turn, my right rear wheel caught a pothole next to a manhole and BOOM! yanked the tire loose on the rim! It felt like I hit a tree. Bummer!

So I whipped out the spare and the jack, but two lugnuts had gotten twisted up pretty bad by the last shop that put the snows on and my wrench was slipping off. I called roadside assistance and we walked the 100 ft to the gas station and had some ice cream sandwiches while we waited for the truck to show. Once he got there, he got the lugnuts off and we put the spare on and away we went. The flatbed driver was pretty cool about it, even turned the flashing lights on for my son (he loves flashing lights at this age!). Once he got done the driver said "well, go do some more donuts before you leave!" I replied "no thanks, I'm just gonna baby it home now since I have no more spares." To which he smiles and retorts "hey, I've got no other calls right now, so if you pop another tire, I'll just flatbed ya home!" Gotta love it. The steel rim is now bent, but it was on the rear so no worries for the rest of this season. Tire store said "meh, we've seen worse."

My son thought all of this was pretty cool.

PS - one of my coworkers said "so did you learn your lesson?" I smiled and responded "yeah. Only blowing out one tire in 16 years of snow driving is pretty good!"
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

Well, i dug out the OCC and headed to work. They ended up closing afterall so I cruised around for a bit. I was the only one out in Greenville, SC it seems!! Those rear tires are SWEET! Cruised rigt up the hills and some fresh snow in the neighborhood/side roads.

Glad you took it easy Jon, I saw a lot of cars in the ditch this morning and most looked like little High School rice rides. You know they were driving crazy.

Glad you guys were ok Joel!! What did Mom say when you got back? lol Smile

Here is a shot of the main road into town. (US-29) It is actually good IMO, but this is considered State of Emergency in SC. It will all freeze over tonight too as we don't have salt on it.

Buried in the South.... Photo-0138
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am

My wife has a good sense of humor and thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

B-bodies are darn near unstoppable in snow with proper snowtires on all corners. I'll post these photos again for your enjoyment:

Buried in the South.... Wagonsnow1

Buried in the South.... Wagonsnow2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 am

Chris I bet you are glad about the "no salt" use in your state.Never used it in my area of Va for years but now they use it automatically before any snow and my wagons dont move unless its absolutely necessary.Scubbed my OCC on new years day top and bottom and its covered again.Got to take my girls to the vet today so its going to stay dirty for a while.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

Ouch.....salt is for french fries and margaritas!!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 pm

New Mexico has a no salt rule. The the annual rainfall is too low and environment is too fragile to handle the road salt.

As a result, Craigslist is full of 1960s cars with no rust.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't even bother with a shovel if it's under four inches..

My wife and the sheep don't bother when things are under four inches either.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Sorry Chris, the word buried sucked me in.

I have more than I need here,enjoy. Lorne.

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 am

We've finallly got some snow! About 16" so far and still going strong! Most of the roads were unplowed on the way in to work today, too. Fun fun!!!! Very Happy

I kinda miss driving my wagon in this though... Sad
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 am

YIKES!!!

Just so you know it's cold all over today. It was 70 here Friday, and this morning when I got in the wagon the readout said it was 29 degees! Yes it gets cold in Texas too....and yes my heater works! Thank goodness it's sunny or it would be snowing or sleeting here too!

Stay safe up there!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:49 am

Now THIS is buried:

Buried in the South.... IMG_20110112_103206

Buried in the South.... IMG_20110112_102812

Buried in the South.... IMG_20110112_101126

And the worst shoveling partner ever (she has been outside for 2 hours and refuses to go in she's having so much fun lol):

Buried in the South.... IMG_20110112_100355

All you southerners (you too Mike) can just be quiet Wink
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 am

Yuck and NO.

Stay safe and warm!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am

Buried in the South.... IMG_20110112_102812

Now that's worth cranking up the snow blower for!

Glad to see you had some "quality help" from the dog.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:13 pm

After reading this thread, I looked up the snowiest city in the country. Valdez, Alaska averages 297 inches of snow per year.
Some months, they get 100 inches. So it has to snow more than a foot every few days. :O

I'm glad I don't live where I have to shovel snow all the time. It was bad enough yesterday working on my motorcycle when
the temperature never got above 35°.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Austin Texas Climate:
Average more than 300 sunny days each year.
-Normal average daily temperature: 65.4°F
-Warmest month: July
-Daily mean temperature: 85.3°F

So if the average is 65, WHY is it 31 here today!! Brrrrrrr!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:14 pm

81X11 wrote:
Austin Texas Climate:
Average more than 300 sunny days each year.
-Normal average daily temperature: 65.4°F
-Warmest month: July
-Daily mean temperature: 85.3°F

So if the average is 65, WHY is it 31 here today!! Brrrrrrr!

WAAAAAAAAAAA Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:45 pm

woke up to about 6 inches in North Philly (Holiday Inn). brushed off the wagon did a 1/2 donut and headed for central philly. Had fun in the Home Depot and McDonalds parking lot on Columbus Blvd. and went to call on Comcast.

Bill is right the wagons are a LOT of fun in the snow. 4 snow tires does not hurt either!!!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

woke up to a fresh 6" layer over the older 4" from yesterday, so I fired up the snow blower and spent an hour and a half clearing snow from my drive and parking area.

Chris when you want to experience real snow and winter driving come up here, snow is different at -12c than it is at -2c, oh and if you are real good I'll even teach you how to use a snow blower and a shovel!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm

The snow in my driveway when I got home from work was taller than the top of my snowblower by a couple inches! Zoinks!!!!! That sucked to clear. Wink

And I heard on the radio this morning on my way in that at that time, there were 49 of the 50 states had snow somewhere. Wow. Only one that reportedly did not was Florida, believe it or not.

I'm gonna see if I can snap a pic of the snow. Getting dark though...

Ok, snapped a few. Here's a couple of the backyard... (Had to snowblow a path for the dog Wink)

Buried in the South.... DSCN4149

Buried in the South.... DSCN4150

And here's the front yard/driveway...

Buried in the South.... DSCN4151

Buried in the South.... DSCN4152

Buried in the South.... DSCN4153

I'm trying to come up with a reason to have to go out again... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm

is that Impala SS wheels on a caddy?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Dang...you guys are really getting snow!!! Things got a little better here today. Roads were still a solid chunk of ice this morning. But I can't complain after looking at the pics above!! I know how to use a snow blower!!! Its like a lawnmower right? lol Smile

Buried in the South.... IceRoad

Stopped by to check on the other wagons...they are still snowed in. Even the '96 got a dusting under the carport.

Buried in the South.... WhiteWagon
Buried in the South.... JadeSnow2
Buried in the South.... JadeSnow
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Those pics all made me cold......
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 pm

brokecello wrote:
I know how to use a snow blower!!! Its like a lawnmower right? lol Smile

Exactly! Just like using the mulch setting on your mower, except nobody expects you to bag it when you are done.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Yeah, and don't blow it into the wind... Sad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
is that Impala SS wheels on a caddy?

Sorry Tim, missed this the first time! Good eye. Yes, but no. Wink They are the LS Wimpala wheels. Look identical to ours, but are 16x7. Just using them for snows. It's what I found for cheap. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buried in the South....   Buried in the South.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buried in the South....
Page 1 of 1