GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More adventures begin!!!

Go down 
+4
Bewber
lornejay1
jayoldschool
BigBlackBeaSSt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

More adventures begin!!! Empty
PostSubject: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:11 pm

So I pulled my oil pan to inspect the bottom end. Before I go any further with this motor I want to be sure it is in good shape.

Main bearings plati-guaged well above .076mm, service spec is .024-.064. So I pulled a rod bearing, they are warn pretty bad. So tomorrow I will replace the rods and mains. Crank looks really clean so I will go with stock size. New oil pump goes in as well and button her back up. MUST be running tomorrow night. Leave for Philly, Pittsuburgh, DC and Philly again this week!!! CRAZY travel.

Lets hope she holds together!!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:38 pm

I don't know if I am the only one, but I wouldn't do new bearings before a trip. I would pour in some 15w50 perhaps...
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Jay I was thinking the exact same thing.

I am planing on getting all the bugs out of my six speed well before we head to Woodward this summer.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm

No choice in the matter. This has to go EVERY week....... Might leave it home with the wife this week and take the Vue............

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Tim take the Vue and start out with short trips after the bearing replacement. Plastigauge is close but not as accurate
as a proper gauge.You said the crank looks good but how do the bearings look?Also i would hook up a external oil
pressure gauge under the hood for initial start up.
I guess you know to stay away from any high pressure oil pumps and I feel stock pumps on a reasonably stock engine
works best.Of course since yours is a HOT ROD wagon maybe this info wont apply!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have A Great Weekend
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 pm

You'll be fine Tim. I have faith in ya!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 1:00 pm

The mains are in, just need to put the caps on. Took about an hour working very methodically.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 pm

i'm not sure, but are you working with the engine in the car? (that's some job you're doing)
Pete
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Nice work! Good luck.

Lorne, what way are you going to get to Woodward? We can convoy if you come through Ottawa, or I can meet you somewhere on the 401...
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Finished the rods bearings in about 1.5 hours. I work REALLY slow. I take my time to be sure I do not miss something (that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!).

Put the oil pump in and then removed it because it made it about impossible to clean the old gasket. Removed the dipstick tube and cleaned up the old gasket. Put the oil pump back on. Really nice looking oil pump. Karel Ellwein suggested this particular one. It has a bolt on pick up tube and about 10% additional volume with the same pressure. I will put the pan back on after dinner. I need a break for a few hours. I am going to be cramping tonight and sore tomorrow!!. Turning the engine over on your back with the plugs in, yes I am lazy, in hard work. Not to mention 78 lbs of torque on a creeper between the cross member and the block!! Really sick of oil dripping on my face. I NEED A LIFT!!!!

As I tightened each cap (main and rod) I checked to be sure the engine still turned over. I am very optimistic on this project. Actually went pretty smoothly so far.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Actually went pretty smoothly so far.

Tim

Shhhhhhh don't jinx yourself.j You are making really good progress. I was trying to figure out how to put a lift on the side of my house, lol. The neighbors would LOVE that, ha ha ha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Did you use anything besides motor oil on the bearings?Best of luck to you Tim and I hope all works out.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I cleaned the back of the cap and rods and used assembly lube on the bearing surface.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Hope you are going to pull a fuse or the coil and crank the engine over a little before starting to prelube the bearings
even though you used assembly lube.Last but not least hope you AAA.
Best of Luck
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Nice work! Good luck.

Lorne, what way are you going to get to Woodward? We can convoy if you come through Ottawa, or I can meet you somewhere on the 401...

Jay I am going thru Ont,and you are definitely on the must see list as well as,

Bill and Carol

Roy Conneybeare

Jason Lachapelle

Mike Chytuk

Nick

Pat

Derek, and anyone else In Ontario if possible.

That would be great to get as many as possible together and convoy over.

We have a room,and the great thing is there is so much to see and do I just had to make this happen.

Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Really nice looking oil pump. Karel Ellwein suggested this particular one. It has a bolt on pick up tube and about 10% additional volume with the same pressure.

I hope it is not the same pump he sold me....you DO NOT need a higher volume pump with that motor. He sold me the Melling Big Block (M-99-HVS). I am thinking he didn't sell you that one though (turns out I was not the only customer of his that had an issue with that pump) He did make it right though. Id take the Vue. Congrats on your hard work though!! You are rocking!! (need pics Smile )

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 12:38 pm

http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/10552/10002/-1

Melling 10552

The one you called out is 25% higher volume and the press on pick up.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Sweet Smile I bet it will run awesome!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Seems to run fine. Started her up about 1/2 hour ago. Idled in the garage for a few minutes. Then put it down off the jack stands. Started again and ran around the block (3/4 mi). All good. Most of the lifter noise I had is gone. One noisy roller rocker, but the comps are known for their noise. Did not fix the exhaust leak, I can hope can't I.

It will not go to Pittsburgh this week. I will run the Vue. Cannot deal with a tow bill from Pittsy. Wife will run local stuff with it this week. She will roll next week to Pittsy.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Congrats on a job well done though...you did your own Trans and now engine! Smile When will you do your own rear end? Lol That is something I would love to learn...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm

brokecello wrote:
When will you do your own rear end? Lol That is something I would love to learn...

Oh geez, that quote is just BEGGING for attention, but I'll be a good boy LMAO. Chris, that is hilarious.

Tim, you are the man do just go and do it. Before my addiction, um I mean my hobby, I would have never thought I'd

1. Own 5 of basically the same car.
2. Part 3 cars in a 15 month period
3. pull axles and do rear differential work
4. Pull engines and trannies
5. Spend 5 Friday nights in a row dropping the same F'ing fuel tank.
6. Drive 3300 miles in a week for the ultimate goal to meet freaks like myself and drink beer.
7. Knock on strangers doors just because there was a wagon in the driveway
8. Enter a car show (well 4 actually)
9. Plan my weekend around junkyard's hours of operation
10. Have hot girls in bikinis pose for pictures with my woody (they never emailed me copies, boo hoo hoo).
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

7. Knock on strangers doors just because there was a wagon in the driveway

LOL..... John (Mtrhead79) and I stopped at a house with a wagon in front on the street. A little rough but not stock looking. He was cowering in the car, embarrassed to be with some forward enough to knock on a strangers door (ME). As I walked up the stoop I noticed the car under the cover in the driveway had Impala SS wheels on it. I thought "this MUST be a b-body geeks home". Sure enough the door swung open and a vaigly familiar face says "Tim, how are you". Yikes she knows me!!! I promise I did not wash my car, after all it was to cold, at her house!!. It was Laury that I met at the GM nationals in Carlisle. She and her husband are huge Impala SS community supporters. What are the chances!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Very cool! I've stopped to ask about cars before and my wife hides half the time, so don't feel bad.

Glad to know this happens to someone else!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Sprocket wrote:
brokecello wrote:
When will you do your own rear end? Lol That is something I would love to learn...

Oh geez, that quote is just BEGGING for attention, but I'll be a good boy LMAO. Chris, that is hilarious.

I guess I backed myself right into that one...lol Rolling Eyes Moving on... tongue
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:50 pm

BACK ON SUBJECT............

I drove the car to Philly tonight via Allentown...... well almost to Allentown. RUNS GREAT... Lifter noise is all gone. valve train a little quieter. VERY PLEASED!!! Ran her up to about 80, may she pulls strong....

WOOT!!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am

Sweet Dude!

How were the roads up there? I was BORED at work today, all my accounts in central PA were shut down.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 am

All the main roads are clear
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:51 am

Good deal. Hope it clears up for you folks for the weekend!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More adventures begin!!!   More adventures begin!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More adventures begin!!!
Page 1 of 1