GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oil pressure alarm.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

oil pressure alarm. Empty
PostSubject: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Driving my 91 OCC tonight I came down the offramp and two things happened.

1. the steering wheel shook violently under braking (and also later when I hit a bump at 35 mph).

2. there was a fast chime and the oil light when on. I looked at the gauge and it showed 0 for the pressure. When the light turned green and I hit the gas it popped right back up to about 18.

I'm thinking the first is the crappy tires on it, the second, maybe an electrical failure in the dash?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 pm

I am thinking something in your suspension has broken perhaps a balljoint.When it broke a part of it flew up and struck some of the sensors on the drivers side of the block and oil pan.
JMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 am

I had an LO3 loose oil pressure. I gave up trying to figure out what caused it, and put a used LO5 in it.

It would have 0 oil pressure at idle, and about 15 when driving. Sometimes 5 when driving. Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I think a/the bearings get loose, and won't hold the pressure. I even tried some heavier oil, to no avail. I think it cost me as much as a junk yard engine, trying to troubleshoot. It was a pain with the chime going off all of the time.

A friend of mine said he had an LO3 with no oil pressure like that, and it worked for about 2 years before it quit.

The braking issue is wierd. I had a spindle nut back off recently, and it caused some wierd issues. Check you spindle nuts. Check for other loose parts too.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

happened again tonight. drove about 30 miles, came down the off ramp and while I was sitting at the light ding ding ding. worse part is the oil light hides behind the steering wheel so it took a second to figure it out.

Gauge said 0 pressure but the engine was running. As the light turned green it popped up to about a third on the gauge (had to drive so I couldn't read the numbers). Was fine after that....pretty weird.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm

It could be a sticky relief valve in the oil pump. The valve is a rod held in place by a spring. If it sticks open, it will vent pressure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure alarm.   oil pressure alarm. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil pressure alarm.
Page 1 of 1