GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!

Go down 
+2
buickestate
BigBlackBeaSSt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Empty
PostSubject: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm

I traveled from Harrisburg PA to Pittsburgh tonight. About 80 miles from the airport, Somerset, it began to snow. I passed about everyone I came to and smiled as I went by the jeeps!! The last 10 miles of the turnpike I ran with my lights off because it was snowing so hard I could not see with them on. This was only a problem, BECAUSE I WAS IN FRONT OF ALL THE TRAFFIC!!!

From Monroeville to the airport there were MANY trucks, cars, BMW's, Jeeps, name a car that were not smart enough either stay home or replace their tires!!! They blocked lanes on the hills, ran into guardrails and blocked entrance/exit ramps all across Pittsy. There are few hills here.

There was 4-6 inches of heavy crap between the tire tracks. Heavy stuff, it swung the back end from time to time. But nothing beyond its limits. I love this car, it goes through anything you ask it to. What a trip!!!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Tell me something I don't already know......

Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! DSC01274
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Nonononononono.

Lord that's scary.....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm

nothing like 2 tons of fun Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm

These cars are a hoot in the snow thats if you know how to steer with your throttle.Hey Tim
been meaning to ask hows the wagon doing with the new bearings?
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Tires make all the difference. I just had rear snow tires on my RMW and that did pretty good in the snow. I won't even take my 1A2 out in the rain with its garbage tires on it!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
These cars are a hoot in the snow thats if you know how to steer with your throttle.Hey Tim
been meaning to ask hows the wagon doing with the new bearings?
Take Care
Jim Gordon

Running like a champ!!!!! No guts no glory!!

95BRMW wrote:
Tires make all the difference. I just had rear snow tires on my RMW and that did pretty good in the snow. I won't even take my 1A2 out in the rain with its garbage tires on it!

I have BFGoodrich KD's 275/40/17 on the Impala. On dry roads below 40* it is useless, spins the tires to 50 mph!!! Cannot imagine on wet or SNOWY roads!! Yikes. I have 4 snows I bought off another member a few years back. They work great!! I always put snows on all four corners..... It is the only way to go!! I originally had the Impala set up as a daily driver. With 4 snows it was AMAZING!! Better than the wagon due to the F/R balance.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

95BRMW wrote:

I have BFGoodrich KD's 275/40/17 on the Impala. On dry roads below 40* it is useless, spins the tires to 50 mph!!! Cannot imagine on wet or SNOWY roads!! Yikes. I have 4 snows I bought off another member a few years back. They work great!! I always put snows on all four corners..... It is the only way to go!! I originally had the Impala set up as a daily driver. With 4 snows it was AMAZING!! Better than the wagon due to the F/R balance.
With the tires on my 1A2, if I nail the gas when I'm already going around 35mph I can break a tire loose and leave some rubber. Real cool trick!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 8:44 am

95BRMW wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

95BRMW wrote:

With the tires on my 1A2, if I nail the gas when I'm already going around 35mph I can break a tire loose and leave some rubber. Real cool trick!

Yeah I almost lost control of your 1A2 twice, lol. You need some new tires! Those hand-me-down OCC tires sucked when I gave them to you. But seriously. I'm glad to hear these wagons do well in the snow with the right tires. Maybe I will actually have a shot of selling my Dad the Caprice in the spring, I think snow was his big concern with it. If I would have known NJ was going to get pounded with an unusually large amount of snow, I would have got 4 snows for my Caprice; could have got a lot more use out of it instead of it sitting at home. Tim, do you have an Posi rear in your car, and does it help a lot in the snow do you think?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am

Lynol wrote:
95BRMW wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

95BRMW wrote:

Yeah I almost lost control of your 1A2 twice, lol. You need some new tires! Those hand-me-down OCC tires sucked when I gave them to you. But seriously. I'm glad to hear these wagons do well in the snow with the right tires. Maybe I will actually have a shot of selling my Dad the Caprice in the spring, I think snow was his big concern with it. If I would have known NJ was going to get pounded with an unusually large amount of snow, I would have got 4 snows for my Caprice; could have got a lot more use out of it instead of it sitting at home. Tim, do you have an Posi rear in your car, and does it help a lot in the snow do you think?

Yes I have a limited slip rear and it does help a lot........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!   Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good tires and the right car make snow easy!!!
Page 1 of 1