GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We'll file this under "interesting"

Go down 
+2
waynes91
81X11
6 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

We'll file this under "interesting" Empty
PostSubject: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 am

I'd posted this as a reply to a Wanted thread for my grill yesterday, but Laird sent me some more info I thought you might get a kick out of.

In case you missed it, he stopped at that new Wrench-A-Part salvage yard in South Austin on the way to Houston yesterday morning. Laird likes wierd stuff, he owns that AMC Pacer Wagon and my old Citation X-11, and a 67 Beetle. Nuff said.

He found a 73 Vega GT in really solid condition with a wild valve cover paintjob. Car was basically untouched when he found it, still has the hood stripe, and even the hubcaps and trim rings still on it. He said it was just real dirty, looked like it sat in a barn for years.

He grabbed the grill, GT emblems, horn button and a near-perfect owners manual. He's going to Ebay all that stuff....yes even Vega's have a small following. Funny stuff.

We'll file this under "interesting" Photo2-1
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo3-1
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo4

Well he just sent me some new pics that are kinda sad/funny. There was a lot of paperwork in the owner's manual/packet he nabbed. Check these out:

In the Vega paperwork - the original GM special order for the GT.
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo1

Old bills from Capitol Chevrolet in Downtown Austin (long gone, Whole Foods heaquarters is there now) and Lamar Body Shop, also long gone.
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo2-2

Originally sold to a buyer in 1972 in Indiana, was re sold at Roy Butler Lincoln - 900 West 6th Austin on 9/4/1975 for $1825. The Thank You card from the dealer is still attached.
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo3-2

Picture of the car in the auto records book from 1977. Sharp little car! Look at those old Texas plates
We'll file this under "interesting" Photo4-1

It's kinda sad. Vegas were junk but when was the last time you saw a rust-free GT. Thing was special ordered from GM. Looks like it was here in Austin since 1975. GT, 5 speed, custom interior and stripe kit, AC. Had all the mags on it. Looks like it had been sitting since 1980 or something by the window inspection sticker. Wonder what the story there is....

Guy at the yard asked if Laird wanted to buy it. LOL! Wink

You just never know what you'll find in the salvage yards!

-Mike

-Mike
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:36 pm

that has lt1 written all over it ...
Back to top Go down
SaltyDog1969

SaltyDog1969

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 pm

LT1? How about a 5.3 LS engine?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:06 am

be a nice home for a buick 3.8 turbo from a regal
Back to top Go down
SaltyDog1969

SaltyDog1969

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 am

word
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 am

Wow. I would have had a hard time NOT buying that car! Did he at least find out what they wanted for it?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

Oh man that would be a wicked project to buy. Probably dirt cheap too.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah I was surprised they offered to sell it to him. I've got a tow dolley and offered to drag it home for him. He's got parking behind his house, and it would look right at home with the Pacer and X-11.

I'd just go low price and put a Chevy 350 in it. There are tons of late 70's, early 80's Silverados that can be bought dirt cheap around here. Instant cheap drivetrain!

Would be fun to take a Vega to the weekly cruise-in. Park it next to Doc's Maverick Grabber. Ha! Shame to see that car crushed, since it's still complete and solid and had all that paperwork with it.

FYI, the car is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfuG3xg7Xas

http://lowcostautopartsofaustin.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We'll file this under "interesting"   We'll file this under "interesting" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We'll file this under "interesting"
Page 1 of 1