GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Howdy! Just joined..

Go down 
+3
ModernMuscleHead
Bewber
rkmdogs
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

Howdy! Just joined.. Empty
PostSubject: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 12:59

Hello all! I just found this website while surfing for wagon info.
I recently "acquired" another "new" toy - a 1995 Caprice wagon,
that has been converted into a "phantom" Impala SS clone!
I have been looking for a wagon or SUV or CUV for the past 6 months,
as an over-the-road vehicle for longer trips.
My wife's current car is a little too small for some of our longer trips,
but is great as an around-town commuter.
My ride is a "transformed" GMC Sonoma pick-up that has been modified
with an LT-1 V8, and some other major changes, which is now up for sale!
I am a current member of "GoFaSSt" club, out of Orlando, which is basically
a "B" body club, mainly for Impala SS'es.
My wagon is currently getting some "fixes", but I'll try to post a pic of it,
if this format will allow.

Howdy! Just joined.. Capricewnewstealthlook0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 13:05

Niiiice. Are you going to the Daytona show? Where in FL are you? Smile
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject:    Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 13:15

Stingroo wrote:
Niiiice. Are you going to the Daytona show? Where in FL are you? Smile

I was entered for the show, but a little "incident" got in the way ---- I had a heart attack!
Result was a carroted artery repair, and a quadruple by-pass!
The Dr.s' just released me to drive yesterday, but the trip to Daytona is too long
for me at this time. A GoFaSSt member bought my entry from me; thanks!
I live in Polk county, just NW of Lakeland. Where are you? cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 16:00

Oh that sucks. Glad your surgery seems to have gone well though so you can be here. Smile I'm in college up in Jacksonville right now, and that's where I'll be heading from.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 16:02

Welcome aboard and congrats on the recovery of your health.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 16:11

Welcome to the madness and nevermind the show HEALTH FIRST.Take care of that first and
everything else second.Listen to the doctor and thats a beautiful wagon you have there.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 17:02

Welcome to the site. Kinda new here myself and everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful. Nice looking car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midmichiganmodernmuslce.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 17:39

That's a SHARP wagon! Welcome to the group and hope your full recovery is fast!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 17:47

Welcome, sharp wagon!!!! Welcome to the ciaos!!
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 18:37

Thank you all for your kind responses!
In addition to my newly acquired wagon, I am an LT-1 fan, and have had some experience with
cars using that power plant.
My initial exposure was with a '95 9C1 Caprice, that was an FBI undercover car. I partially
"converted" it with some Impala SS features, but sold it to a young man from New Orleans,
when I needed to switch to a pickup truck.
I then bought a '94 GMC Sonoma extended cab pickup truck from a neighbor widow. But,
I could not leave it that way for very long ---- my LT-1 pleasures were too deeply imprinted
on my memory. So-o-o, I started searching...... for some parts, and a shop capable of doing
what I had in mind. Took a few months, but I succeeded on both accounts.
That was in 2007. 2 years later, .... and then some, 'cause projects never end, here is the result!

" border="0" alt=""/>

Howdy! Just joined.. Lt1done09100801

However, to proceed with my newest project, this one has to go; so it is up for sale.
There is a whole long list of goodies and things that have been done to this truck that I
call "Bruiser", 'cause its Black & Blue!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 19:11

I gotta say, Bruiser looks pretty badass. lol
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 20:06

Hey man, welcome aboard! Take a deep breath and relax. Smile

Cool wagon and I love what you did with the Dime. I am gonna build one of them too, soon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 21:12

It's great to see another LT1 fan here. Besides the Opti Spark I think it's one of the greatest Engines GM produced. I have owned LT1's in Camaro's and Trans Am's and have always been happy with their performance. I have 2 LT1's in the stable right now and I'm still looking for another.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 8:12

That Sonoma is AWESOME! So cool!

My current work truck/salvage yard runner is a '97 S-10 with a 4.3 V6 and 5-spd, and BOY I'd love to do a swap like that...but the 4.3 runs too well to yank!

Howdy! Just joined.. WaxedS-10001

And yes it IS used for work!
Howdy! Just joined.. LastLoad003

-Mike

Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 11:45

81X11 wrote:
That Sonoma is AWESOME! So cool!

My current work truck/salvage yard runner is a '97 S-10 with a 4.3 V6 and 5-spd, and BOY I'd love to do a swap like that...but the 4.3 runs too well to yank!
-Mike

Yeah Mike, I agree that the 4.3L V-6 is a very dependable engine. I have had 4 of them now, and my only bitch about
them is the CPI system on the hi=po versions! When they start to leak, can't repair -- have to replace the whole
thing! = $$$$!
One other gripe, people say it is a 350 with two cylinders lopped off --- not so! Try to find speed parts for them, that
will work on the street -- impossible!
That's why I went with a V-8 swap. If I was crazy enough to do it again, no hesitation, I'd go with an LS instead of
an LT. More potential, but at the time I did my swap, price difference on the engines was 3x more for an LS! Not so
today. Frame changes are slightly different, but about the same amount of work. AND...... 6.2l beats 5.7l since there
is no substitute for cubic inches! Cool
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 11:51

They are a 350 with two cylinders lopped off on the bottom end. It's the same bore and stroke so when doing a bottom end rebuild you can buy a SBC 350 kit and use the rods and pistons and have 2 left over. Sad thing is buying the 8 is usually cheaper then buying the 6 if you specify a 4.3 V6. As far as speed parts go you have to pretty much make your own. I think there is maybe one or two sets of headers, but after market heads, and intakes are pretty much non existent. I think that you can have a custom cam ground for them from any of the major manufacturers. Does anyone remember the GMC Cylcone and GMC Hurricane ? I'm an LT1 fan, but it would be cool to just turbo that 4.3 like GMC did and you could make great power.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 11:54

One of these days I may tackle that swap. If I ever kill the 4.3.

My last 4.3, in my 93 S-10 pickup had over 200K miles on it when I traded it off for my Cutlass. Same deal, always planned to drop a 350 in it but the 4.3 refused to die. It was a TBI 4.3, reliable as the sun.

The only vehicle I've ever bought new. GREAT little truck. Miss it.
Howdy! Just joined.. Iroc-S10001
Howdy! Just joined.. Iroc-S10002

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 12:04

I think my 93 was a much better looking truck than my '97. I like the boxy style, you could see the full hood, and I hate the tail lights and bumper design on my '97.

As for the interior, the 97 has more room and ratlles a lot less, but the materials in the '93 seemed stouter. The '93's bucket seats were also much more comfy than the flat ones in the '97. BUT the '97 with the 5-spd and Vortec engine is faster than the '93 TBI automatic was, and the '97's gauges are worlds better. The '97 also has a lot more room being an extended cab, and the 94+ cabs are both wider and taller as well.

Since I'm off on an S-series tangent, the 93 handled loads better and towed better, but rode a lot stiffer. I read that the 93-and-older S-trucks had stiffer suspension but a more flexable frame. The 94-and-newer S-trucks have a stiffer frame but the springs are softer for a better ride.

I think that's right, my 93 did not sag in the rear nearly as much loaded or towing. I towed a 20-foot Cobalt ski-boat with the 93 and it did that just fine. Don't think the 97 would handle that as well.

Sorry for running off on the topic....but that's me...

-Mike
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 12:11

I just think it's got to be great living down in Texas where you can find 93's or 97's that have great bodies and floors. Here in Michigan if they've been driven year round they have serious Rust Issues. I love the looks of your truck. I think the IROC wheels look great on there. Problem with both the 93 and 97 are if you start throwing power at them you have to change the rear end. Just like the F-bodies they have weak 7.5" ring and pinions that snap if you add power and tires that stick.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 14:26

ModernMuscleHead wrote:
I just think it's got to be great living down in Texas where you can find 93's or 97's that have great bodies and floors. Here in Michigan if they've been driven year round they have serious Rust Issues. I love the looks of your truck. I think the IROC wheels look great on there. Problem with both the 93 and 97 are if you start throwing power at them you have to change the rear end. Just like the F-bodies they have weak 7.5" ring and pinions that snap if you add power and tires that stick.

I hear ya on the rust. I'm a native Texan but went through part of jr high and all of high school in New Jersey. Have dealt with more than a few salted cars. My buddy Ben still lives in Jersey and bought a 90 S-10 4x4 as a winter truck, and it had no...and I mean NO...metal around the wheel wells, it was all bondo. Scary stuff!

We have great metal down here but paint burns up and interiors fry. Window tinting and sun-shades are BIG business. ; )

-Mike
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 14:35

I just traveled to Southern Illinois ( about 50 miles North of St. Louis MO. ) on Tuesday to buy a Texas Wagon. It was rust free and the floors were impeccable. Too bad it had been hit in nearly every panel and the guy never told me. If it had the body of my car I would have 2 right now.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 14:40

Read your post. Sad stuff! Sorry you made that trip!
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 14:37

If you guys are truly interested in any vintage S-10's, or GMC Sonomas,
you need to go cruise the best S-10 website for all the info and plans you may need.
Go to: www.V8S10.org
Any of the other S-10 sites try to sell you something or have you pay $$$$ and join!

I'm hearing a lot of mis-information here about these vehicles! Go get it straight!

Adding a turbo to a 4.3, and make it into a Cyclone....... try to find somebody who will
sell you parts that fit, --- and work, if you don't have an orginal version and can verify
with a serial #! Those guys are very picky!!!! AND.... they hoard their parts!
Been there, done that! No
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 14:46

rkmdogs wrote:
If you guys are truly interested in any vintage S-10's, or GMC Sonomas,
you need to go cruise the best S-10 website for all the info and plans you may need.
Go to: www.V8S10.org
Any of the other S-10 sites try to sell you something or have you pay $$$$ and join!

I'm hearing a lot of mis-information here about these vehicles! Go get it straight!

Adding a turbo to a 4.3, and make it into a Cyclone....... try to find somebody who will
sell you parts that fit, --- and work, if you don't have an orginal version and can verify
with a serial #! Those guys are very picky!!!! AND.... they hoard their parts!
Been there, done that! No

Why so serious?

Howdy! Just joined.. DeerLeaseWeekend024

Oh and it's Syclone and Typhoon.

I'd still love to have either one! Smile
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 21:56

I'm just trying to share past experiences and save some of
the younger enthusiasts the time and frustration that occurs
when you chase a false hope!
That also translates into $$$$$!

If thats' being too serious, sorry, but mistakes can be serious!
Welcome to Reality!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 12:29

a bit late, but welcome. I see you also have the hood ornament delete. (any probs with that?)
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy! Just joined..   Howdy! Just joined.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Howdy! Just joined..
Page 1 of 1